The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those Complete Power Boosting & Drivetrain Mods..
Forum rules: 
Please keep personal insults to yourselves.
Opinions and discussion are welcomed but the name calling and petty retorts are now becoming tiresome and getting in the way of what would otherwise be a great section with a lot of useful information.
Personally insulting posts and those serving little purpose except to incite argument will be removed and authors warned. FYI, we operate a multiple warning and automatic ban system.
By sweatygooch
Looking to fit an LSD to help with traction out of the more slippery corners. The car Will only see track twice a year at most although it gets driven fairly hard on the road at times. Which should I be looking to get? What's the differences between them? Would you advise fitting a baffled sump at the same time?

Cheers in advance for any input.
By Rebecca
I don't have a baffled sump. I just put a wee bit extra oil in on track days.

I have a spoon plate LSD which is very harsh & noisey but thats how I like it.

Depends what your after.

You could be a quaife sheep like the rest of them.... :lol: :wink:

x
By sweatygooch
Rebecca wrote:I don't have a baffled sump. I just put a wee bit extra oil in on track days.

I have a spoon plate LSD which is very harsh & noisey but thats how I like it.

Depends what your after.

You could be a quaife sheep like the rest of them.... :lol: :wink:

x

The car is my daily driver so im not after anything too hardcore. Is the standard JDM one made by Quaife??
By Rebecca
No Quaife is an aftermarket one.

Alot of people on here use them in their dailys.

Probably just what you after really.

x
By SuperFLY
I've got an MFactory helical and my car is my daily driver.

tbh in normal driving you dont really notice it, its when you put your foot down you start feeling it digging in. its a weird sensation in slippery conditions sometimes but you get used to trusting it'll go where you're pointing it :)

the main difference between the JDM and an aftermarket one is mainly the power it'll take. i've been advised that the JDM diff isnt rating for 'big' power (upwards of 300bhp+) whereas an aftermarket one is often rated for 500+bhp

this im sure is debatable but thats the only real diff (no pun intended) as far as im aware.

they both do the job they're designed for :-D
By kipps
Rebecca wrote: very harsh & noisey but thats how I like it.
Oh aye :lol:

And just to stay on topic, Ive got a MFactory helical lsd ( Although not fitted yet )
By Rebecca
kipps wrote:
Rebecca wrote: very harsh & noisey but thats how I like it.
Oh aye :lol:

And just to stay on topic, Ive got a MFactory helical lsd ( Although not fitted yet )
:lol:

Hahaha. You would know. :P

x
By Rebecca
kipps wrote:Off topic ... How 'bad' is the plated spoon diff for a daily drive Becci ?
Errr... one of the marshalls at Oulton came over to tell us after we came off the track that our car sounds broken and if it was the drive shaft? Haha.

I was like nooooo its just the LSD.

It's not so bad just clunky. You get funny looks off "normal" people in the petrol station. But I love that kinda stuff as I am a ASW.

It's not undriveable. Just not very quiet.

x
By kipps
Rebecca wrote: Errr... one of the marshalls at Oulton came over to tell us after we came off the track that our car sounds broken and if it was the drive shaft? Haha.
So quite noticable then :lol:
Tbh I think stage 4 cluch and plated diff are overkill on a road car with occasional track days, although I wouldn't have any problems with fitting them myself as I could easily live with it like you :thumbup:

For me its going to be Mfactory helical diff, Exedy lightened flywheel + std clutch. Will deffinately upgrade the clutch, but only after I've got the full life out the std one which was replaced a couple of years ago ( few more track days should speed up that process )
By Rebecca
kipps wrote:
Rebecca wrote: Errr... one of the marshalls at Oulton came over to tell us after we came off the track that our car sounds broken and if it was the drive shaft? Haha.
So quite noticable then :lol:
Tbh I think stage 4 cluch and plated diff are overkill on a road car with occasional track days, although I wouldn't have any problems with fitting them myself as I could easily live with it like you :thumbup:

For me its going to be Mfactory helical diff, Exedy lightened flywheel + std clutch. Will deffinately upgrade the clutch, but only after I've got the full life out the std one which was replaced a couple of years ago ( few more track days should speed up that process )
I just like it like that, hardcore FTW. I don't tend to do things by half.

Can't tell you how much difference an LSD makes though, really outshone itself on the track.

Hate to think what it would of been without one!

x
By kipps
Rebecca wrote: Can't tell you how much difference an LSD makes though, really outshone itself on the track.

Hate to think what it would of been without one!
T minus 3 weeks and I'll know for myself :thumbup:
Until then I just get to stare at them on my bedroom floor :sad:

Slight thread hijack, but never mind :lol:

As has already been said, I think they only difference between all the various brands of helical lsd's and OEM JDM spec ones are the power they are able handle
Last edited by kipps on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By karl.hart
yes the stock oem honda lsd in like a dc5 or jdm civic is made by quaife :thumbup:
By teamMFactory
karl.hart wrote:yes the stock oem honda lsd in like a dc5 or jdm civic is made by quaife :thumbup:
No, the OEM Honda LSD is not made by Quaife; Honda manufacturing in general is outsourced to various factories (us being one of them), depending on which branch of Honda.

Just a little information on differentials: A "Helical LSD" is not really an "LSD" i.e Limited Slip Differential. In general, the only differentials classed as Limited Slip are Plate/Clutch Type LSD's i.e MFactory Metal Plate, Kaaz/Spoon, ATS, OS Giken, Cusco

A "Helical LSD" is actually based upon the original "Torsen" design, so infact, instead of LSD, it should be called a TSD; Torque Sensing Differential. The term Helical LSD is only used for marketing purposes when referring to a TSD, although a lot of companies that offer/sell Helical LSD's don't even know the difference.

Quaife, being Quaife, decided to reverse-engineer the Torsen design (nothing wrong with that, we done it as well, as did Honda and lots of other companies), called theirs the ATB (Auto Torque Biasing) Differential, then decided to get a completely worthless European Patent for it to "look" original (they didn't tell people it was worthless though), market it as their super duper original lsd and would sue anyone in Europe who would release a similar design (even though it wouldn't stand up in court as their patent was worthless).

Because of this, in Europe, mention the word LSD, and the first thing that comes to mind is Quaife. Never would they have thought that Quaife is actually a copy of someone else. Is it a good quality product? Of course it is. Is it worth the money? Depends on the buyer. A Patek Philippe connoisseur would think a Rolex is cheap, just like how a Rolex connoisseur would think a Grand Seiko is cheap. In other words, you are paying for the Brand Name. There are 5 major brands of TSD's for a Honda: Honda, Quaife, MFactory, Wavetrac, OBX

Which brand TSD is actually better though? They are all good quality (except the OBX. No other words can describe just how bad the quality is), so it's really up to the buyer to decide:

Strength/Durability:
OEM - Cast. Is weaker than the metal it was cut from
Quaife - Machine Cut (Billet). As strong as the metal it was cut from
Wavetrac - Machine Cut (Billet). As strong as the metal it was cut from
MFactory - Forged. Upto 30% tougher than the metal it was cut from
OBX - Cast. Is weaker than the metal it was cut from

Quality (Machining/Tolerance):
OEM - Within oem specs
Quaife - Within oem specs
Wavetrac - Within oem specs (after they fixed their axle issues)
MFactory - Within oem specs
OBX - Toss of a coin. Some are ok (but still quite bad), some are ridiculously bad

Performance:
OEM - Fine for most grocery getters. Might find your diff exploding though after a few aggressive seasons. Cannot handle too high of a torque level
Quaife - No difference in aggressiveness from OEM as same bias ratio and tooth angle. Can handle higher torque. 2010+ models lighter weight (after copying us. Ironic, as pro-Quaife consumers think we are just a cheap copy of them)
Wavetrac - No difference in aggressiveness from OEM as same bias ratio and tooth angle. Patent-pending design that allows it to function under extreme traction loss (i.e one wheel in the air). Effectiveness rather controversial though. Can handle higher torque.
MFactory - Same bias ratio as OEM, but more aggressive tooth angle (i.e more power is transferred to the ground). Can handle higher torque. Is lightweight (due to being Forged + our weight reducing features)
OBX - Is a cheap copy of the Quaife. Toss of a coin. Get a good one, and you may be ok for a while. Otherwise, expensive tranny rebuild.

Value for Money:
OEM - No warranty (unless it is original equipment). Very expensive brand new, relatively affordable 2nd Hand
Quaife - Lifetime warranty (dependant on Distributor policy. Officially, Quaife only offer the warranty to their own customers). As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Is the most expensive.
Wavetrac - Lifetime warranty. Again, you get what you pay for. Is slightly cheaper than the Quaife
MFactory - Lifetime warranty. Goes against the saying; You actually get more than what you pay for ;). Is the cheapest "Quality" differential, but is certainly not "cheap" (it is "lower cost" because of our manufacturing process i.e Forging, not because of its Quality).
OBX - Lifetime warranty (which is never honored). You get what you pay for, and is a very expensive paperweight if you buy a dud. By far the cheapest.

Brand Recognition:
OEM - Who's never heard of Honda?
Quaife - The most recognisable
Wavetrac - Owned by Autotech, the previous North American distributor for Quaife. Ditched Quaife (and left a lot of warranty claims in the gutter) to pursue their own product line
MFactory - We released our Helical LSD 2 years ago. Since the late 90's, Quaife had 70% share of the North American Honda aftermarket. Now, in 2011, we have 70% share of the North American Honda aftermarket. The rest is shared between Quaife/Wavetrac/OBX
OBX - An eBay Company

Hope this information will be of use to you :)
By teamMFactory
All parts are "machined", if that is what you are referring to? Or are you referring to machine cutting a pre-forged cut?

Billet does not mean the type of process, but instead, the type of cut. Billet just means the shape of the metal (i.e a square/rectangle), but is a misused term in the industry, and confuses the general consumer.

You can purchase forged steel in billet (i.e square/rectangle) or rounds (i.e rods), but this is NOT the same thing as a true Forged piece. A part that goes through the forging process (i.e forging a blank in the shape of the part) is superior to the same part (like-for-like in terms of material) that is just machine cut from a forged billet.

You can read an article that I wrote on this misconception here: http://www.teammfactory.com/billet-myth
Mart wrote:Billet machined can also be forged. My wheels were both forged and billet cut.

Good post though :cool:
By pulpmelon_r
teamMFactory wrote:
karl.hart wrote:yes the stock oem honda lsd in like a dc5 or jdm civic is made by quaife :thumbup:
No, the OEM Honda LSD is not made by Quaife; Honda manufacturing in general is outsourced to various factories (us being one of them), depending on which branch of Honda.

Just a little information on differentials: A "Helical LSD" is not really an "LSD" i.e Limited Slip Differential. In general, the only differentials classed as Limited Slip are Plate/Clutch Type LSD's i.e MFactory Metal Plate, Kaaz/Spoon, ATS, OS Giken, Cusco

A "Helical LSD" is actually based upon the original "Torsen" design, so infact, instead of LSD, it should be called a TSD; Torque Sensing Differential. The term Helical LSD is only used for marketing purposes when referring to a TSD, although a lot of companies that offer/sell Helical LSD's don't even know the difference.

Quaife, being Quaife, decided to reverse-engineer the Torsen design (nothing wrong with that, we done it as well, as did Honda and lots of other companies), called theirs the ATB (Auto Torque Biasing) Differential, then decided to get a completely worthless European Patent for it to "look" original (they didn't tell people it was worthless though), market it as their super duper original lsd and would sue anyone in Europe who would release a similar design (even though it wouldn't stand up in court as their patent was worthless).

Because of this, in Europe, mention the word LSD, and the first thing that comes to mind is Quaife. Never would they have thought that Quaife is actually a copy of someone else. Is it a good quality product? Of course it is. Is it worth the money? Depends on the buyer. A Patek Philippe connoisseur would think a Rolex is cheap, just like how a Rolex connoisseur would think a Grand Seiko is cheap. In other words, you are paying for the Brand Name. There are 5 major brands of TSD's for a Honda: Honda, Quaife, MFactory, Wavetrac, OBX

Which brand TSD is actually better though? They are all good quality (except the OBX. No other words can describe just how bad the quality is), so it's really up to the buyer to decide:

Strength/Durability:
OEM - Cast. Is weaker than the metal it was cut from
Quaife - Machine Cut (Billet). As strong as the metal it was cut from
Wavetrac - Machine Cut (Billet). As strong as the metal it was cut from
MFactory - Forged. Upto 30% tougher than the metal it was cut from
OBX - Cast. Is weaker than the metal it was cut from

Quality (Machining/Tolerance):
OEM - Within oem specs
Quaife - Within oem specs
Wavetrac - Within oem specs (after they fixed their axle issues)
MFactory - Within oem specs
OBX - Toss of a coin. Some are ok (but still quite bad), some are ridiculously bad

Performance:
OEM - Fine for most grocery getters. Might find your diff exploding though after a few aggressive seasons. Cannot handle too high of a torque level
Quaife - No difference in aggressiveness from OEM as same bias ratio and tooth angle. Can handle higher torque. 2010+ models lighter weight (after copying us. Ironic, as pro-Quaife consumers think we are just a cheap copy of them)
Wavetrac - No difference in aggressiveness from OEM as same bias ratio and tooth angle. Patent-pending design that allows it to function under extreme traction loss (i.e one wheel in the air). Effectiveness rather controversial though. Can handle higher torque.
MFactory - Same bias ratio as OEM, but more aggressive tooth angle (i.e more power is transferred to the ground). Can handle higher torque. Is lightweight (due to being Forged + our weight reducing features)
OBX - Is a cheap copy of the Quaife. Toss of a coin. Get a good one, and you may be ok for a while. Otherwise, expensive tranny rebuild.

Value for Money:
OEM - No warranty (unless it is original equipment). Very expensive brand new, relatively affordable 2nd Hand
Quaife - Lifetime warranty (dependant on Distributor policy. Officially, Quaife only offer the warranty to their own customers). As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Is the most expensive.
Wavetrac - Lifetime warranty. Again, you get what you pay for. Is slightly cheaper than the Quaife
MFactory - Lifetime warranty. Goes against the saying; You actually get more than what you pay for ;). Is the cheapest "Quality" differential, but is certainly not "cheap" (it is "lower cost" because of our manufacturing process i.e Forging, not because of its Quality).
OBX - Lifetime warranty (which is never honored). You get what you pay for, and is a very expensive paperweight if you buy a dud. By far the cheapest.

Brand Recognition:
OEM - Who's never heard of Honda?
Quaife - The most recognisable
Wavetrac - Owned by Autotech, the previous North American distributor for Quaife. Ditched Quaife (and left a lot of warranty claims in the gutter) to pursue their own product line
MFactory - We released our Helical LSD 2 years ago. Since the late 90's, Quaife had 70% share of the North American Honda aftermarket. Now, in 2011, we have 70% share of the North American Honda aftermarket. The rest is shared between Quaife/Wavetrac/OBX
OBX - An eBay Company

Hope this information will be of use to you :)
Great post :thumbup:
By EvoStu
Sometimes Karl................

Great post from MFactory though. :bigthumb: :cool:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]