The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK8 (2017 onwards)
By Richietype R
Hi everyone
I have had my car , bought new on 28th July 2018 . After a few days the car developed front brake squeal. This really annoyed me. Phoned the dealership I bought the car from, told them the problem and they told me this is legendary to the type R models due to their performance brakes! I told them that the car I part-exchanged for this model was also a performance car ( Astra J VXR ) complete with Brembo brakes. These brakes did not squeal!
My question is can I apply coppa grease (and does this work ! ) on the brake shims to alleviate this annoying and embarassing problem!! This noise only seems to happen at low speeds when coming to a halt. When I test drove a previous model ( prior to buying my car ) this problem never occurred. Maybe because this car had many more miles on the clock, so maybe this problem eventually goes?
Apart from this irritating anoyance , well pleased with the car, although could be more user friendly with the info entertainment screen.
Not really moaning about the car, just trying to learn from you that have experienced these habits.
This is my first post on this forum and hope to learn from you all ( this is the first time I have owned a Honda )
Many thanks
Rich :Hihi:
By Lewisgame
I wouldn’t compare your previous vehicle to this car. They might both of have Brembo calipers but the pad material will be completely different.
The type of pad material will be the cause of your brake squeal. If you give it a good drive and carry out some heavy braking applications the squeal will go away... but then eventually will probably return with slow day to day driving.
Don’t ever put copper grease near your brakes...
By 15repyt
Don’t ever put copper grease near your brakes...[/quote]

What wrong with copper grease? I've been fitting brakes for 23 years with copper grease on the contact points never had a problem. If you put it on the pad material then yes I agree :LOL:
By Lewisgame
15repyt wrote:Don’t ever put copper grease near your brakes...
What wrong with copper grease? I've been fitting brakes for 23 years with copper grease on the contact points never had a problem. If you put it on the pad material then yes I agree :LOL:[/quote]
What’s wrong? Quite a lot...
Applying a ‘grease’ next to something that requires friction to work isn’t recommended. You shouldn’t be putting anything on the contact points of the pads unless the manufacture states so with the specified paste.
Copper grease goes very runny with not much temperature required creating a risk with the grease getting onto the friction material.
The copper can interfere with modern braking systems like ABS, traction control etc.
Just because you haven’t had any issues doesn’t mean it’s right. I could remove one wheel nut, drop a tyre pressure by 5psi, oil level on the min, 3 light bulbs in op and drive 1000 miles without an issue... still isn’t right.
By 15repyt
Lewisgame wrote:
What wrong with copper grease? I've been fitting brakes for 23 years with copper grease on the contact points never had a problem. If you put it on the pad material then yes I agree :LOL:
Applying a ‘grease’ next to something that requires friction to work isn’t recommended. You shouldn’t be putting anything on the contact points of the pads unless the manufacture states so with the specified paste.
Copper grease goes very runny with not much temperature required creating a risk with the grease getting onto the friction material.
The copper can interfere with modern braking systems like ABS, traction control etc.
Just because you haven’t had any issues doesn’t mean it’s right. I could remove one wheel nut, drop a tyre pressure by 5psi, oil level on the min, 3 light bulbs in op and drive 1000 miles without an issue... still isn’t right.[/quote]

Sorry mate don't agree with what your saying. Like I said I've been working on cars and not just mine for years and years. Always done it on the contact points. Either on a jaguar, Porsche, Mercedes or a fiesta.

I've never ever had a customer come back with failed abs or traction control. And certainly no copper slip leaking onto the pad material.

Taking a wheel nut off like you say is a mot failure if its visible so are the bulbs. I'll continue to use copper grease until I leave the motor trade and I'll put money on I'll have no issues like you mention.

Each to there own I guess.
By Lewisgame
15repyt wrote:
Lewisgame wrote:
Just because you haven’t had any issues doesn’t mean it’s right. I could remove one wheel nut, drop a tyre pressure by 5psi, oil level on the min, 3 light bulbs in op and drive 1000 miles without an issue... still isn’t right.
Sorry mate don't agree with what your saying. Like I said I've been working on cars and not just mine for years and years. Always done it on the contact points. Either on a jaguar, Porsche, Mercedes or a fiesta.

I've never ever had a customer come back with failed abs or traction control. And certainly no copper slip leaking onto the pad material.

Taking a wheel nut off like you say is a mot failure if its visible so are the bulbs. I'll continue to use copper grease until I leave the motor trade and I'll put money on I'll have no issues like you mention.

Each to there own I guess.[/quote]

All I’ll say is no production car I know (100% know on VW) comes with copper slip on their brakes from factory, nor does any of them recommend putting copper slip near your brakes or even on the wheel hubs.
I don’t know of any brake manufacture that recommends using copper slip. Pagid and Mintex however have Ceratec which is a special grease designed for using on brake pad contract surfaces. But again I don’t know any manufacture that uses Pagid or Mintex as a brake pad supplier.
Even people like Edd China, who’s a toilet of a ‘mechanic’ doesn’t recommend using copper slip...

Added in 7 minutes 38 seconds:
https://mintex.com/copper-slip-vs-ceratec/?lang=en-gbr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Richietype R
Well for my first post this seems to have caused a slight debate.
I have for many years been applying this grease to the rear of the brake pads( shims ) on all makes of cars.
I have not once experienced any problems with the braking , it has at all times alleviated the brake squeal annoyance.
As this is my first Honda, and knowing now this is a (legendary) well none problem, I was interested to find out your views on how other owners overcame this?
I will at a later date try this to see if it does solve the problem.
My car now has 1600 mls on the clock and still squeals like hell!
If however this does not cure the problem, I will be looking to find alternative front pads.
Many thanks for your replies
Rich 8-)

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]