The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to the MY07+ (FN2 & FD2) Civic Type R.
Hi all,

Does anyone know how easy it is to replace the glass front grille on the new shape Civics?

The one my lady is thinking of getting is in Cosmic grey (apparantly pretty rare for the FN shape) although has this glass grille linking the headlights like this which I think looks naff:

Honda sell the honeycomb mesh front like on the Type-R just wondered if anyone had any experience of how easy it is to swap please?
Last edited by iceland_potter on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmic Grey is really nice in the new shape!

I'm sorry mods that I keep referencing this website but check this link:- http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/54760- ... hange.html

I've just bought a mesh grille and will be using this/making the how to.

Check out either the for sale thread on there or check out http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/2006-201 ... 3_775.html

Million times better without the horrid reflective thing :salut:
cheers mate that is extemely helpful! I will almost certainly be doing this on the wife's new Civic. One question though - how would you communicate this to the insurers? Would you just state "modified front grille"?
By Genga
FN is the name for Type R trims of this model

Everything else is an FK I believe.
Genga wrote:FN is the name for Type R trims of this model

Everything else is an FK I believe.
FN are the sport models ( 3 doors ), mine is the FN3.

Not sur about different wheels buddy, but I should think the premium hike is lower if OEM stuff (maybe)
Question about the front grill from Honda guys - are there more than one choice of grille? The reason being I've ordered one but the wife (it's for her car) says she doesn't want it if it's got a chrome base to it where it meets the bumper.
By Sedge
There are a few options for the FN2.

The standard unit:

The CW chrome version:

MUGEN replacement:

Then you have the FK grilles, the full glass like you have then the face-lift 'nostril' grille, this has the two small areas of mesh in a mainly glass grille.
I have seen silver ones on FN3's, I think they are called 'dark chrome' but I'm not 100pc sure.
Sedge
Cheers sedge that is most helpful

Is the red h badge part of the package of the grille? Or could I buy the top grille with black surround and put a non red h badge on it?

Any idea how easy it would be to wrap aroun the chrome or paint it? Woul I nee to ask a body shop to quote on that?
By EvoStu
iceland_potter wrote:Cheers sedge that is most helpful

Is the red h badge part of the package of the grille? Or could I buy the top grille with black surround and put a non red h badge on it?

Any idea how easy it would be to wrap aroun the chrome or paint it? Woul I nee to ask a body shop to quote on that?
Red H is separate mate as is the Type R badge.
By EvoStu
iceland_potter wrote:That's potentially the best news in had yet, as that first standard grille with a black h badge is exactly what I'm after for this new one I'm getting! Thanks
Just order the Type S grille and H badge then. Same thing dude. :bigthumb:
right! Type-S grille! All making sense now :)

TBH I bartered this grille in with my car (Honda dealership) so I've just asked them to take me a photo of the grille they planned to fit I just bloody hope it's the Type-S one now :) I didn't ask for a H badge though so what's the betting they try and stiff me on that now! :lol: :ugeek:
iceland_potter wrote:That's the exact one I am after mate, do you have the Honda Part code perchance? Did yours come with the H Badge?

I will wait to see what grille I get!! Are you after the Type-R one then?
Sorry I don't know the part code. I am after the Type R one but thought I'd go for this instead.

Look forward to see what you get in the lucky dip :lol:

Where abouts are you located?

*edit just seen stoke on Trent, 60miles away I was going to say we could help each other fit them.
Chris is yours a 5 door or 3 door?

The people selling me the car from the Honda garage insist there are different grilles for the 3 door and 5 door. I really don't want the chrome one, I want the one like yours.

Does anyone know if the front grilles are indeed different for 3 and 5 door models of non-Type-R new shapes?
does anyone know of a method to "de chrome" the grill? I would like it black if possible to match the mesh, anyone got any experience with modding chrome? Maybe using vinyl or something?

Chris how did you get yours black?

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]