The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to the MY07+ (FN2 & FD2) Civic Type R.
By kingofdbrits
There have been a few threads asking the same questions regarding common faults with the FN2. While the forum is quite happy to answer these questions as people are spending a lot of money on these cars, I thought i'd try to put them in 1 place to try and stop all the repetition and give new buyers a good list so they have as much information as possible so they buy a good car.

If anyone wants to add a Common problem feel free. Emphasis on the word "Common".

There are a few things to check BEFORE a test drive to make sure you won't have any problems.

First thing to look for is the Service Book.

- On the inside cover it will have the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). Check that the number in the book matchs the number at the bottom of the windscreen so you know the details in the book relate to the car you're looking at.

- In the same book it will have the service record. This is very important!! A full Honda service history for any car gives piece of mind but having this gives you confidence that you won't have any problems should you need to make a warranty claim.
Also check the milage. Honda allow 1000 miles or 1 month either side of the 12,500 mile or annual service interval, so again if you have this then you know the warranty is intact.

- You need to check for rusting on the doors, this is a common problem that if left un-checked can be a serious problem. If there is only a small amount of rust it can be treated easily but if the rust is bad, i'd walk away.

- One of the most important things to look for is the engine oil, it's a good indicator of how much the previous owner has looked after the car. The oil should be just under the top hole on the dip stick, if it's low or very close to the bottom hole then, while it won't cause engine damage, it shows that there's a good chance it has been run too dry at some point and may have caused some damage.

- The paint on the FN2 is thin and chips easily so the bonnet will be badly chipped. So this isn't necessarily a sign of abuse. A pot of touch up paint from Honda only costs £4, so with a good artists brush and a little patience you could make good most of the damage yourself.

- The alarm not working on the car is a common fault and can be fixed under warranty. To check if it works, open the windows and lock the car then wave your hands inside. If the alarm goes off then you don't have a problem.

- There was a recall on the hand brake. This will get done by Honda without a problem but you should ask if the work has been done.

-----Now for the Test Drive-----

- Sometimes when you press the "engine start" button the engine doesn't start. Not sure what causes it but it's nothing to worry about, mine has been doing it (though rarely) since new.

- DON"T go above 5400 rpm when the engine is cold, I try to stay below 4000 rpm. If the owner doesn't have a problem with you going upto full revs when the engine is cold WALK AWAY as it's likely he does it and that does damage the engine.

- Some cars (mine included) has a groan noise from the clutch when setting off in first gear. While this problem is rare it's to do with a worn clutch release bearing and should be replaced.

- Listen carefully to the clutch pedal when you change gear, some cars (again mine included) have a clicking noise and you feel a small TAP from the pedal (similar to the tap you get when the ABS works). I had the clutch cylinder head replaced and the clutch box assembly replaced, both done under warranty and has now lasted 50,000 miles without problem.

- Third gear can be problem. It can feel like there's two notches and it's difficult to push it in often resulting in it popping out into neutral.
There's a big thread on it in the faults & fixes section Clicky
Last edited by kingofdbrits on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Arran
I wish I could see my oil level that easily on the dipstick :scratch:
By dogzilla
Arran wrote:I wish I could see my oil level that easily on the dipstick :scratch:
If the oil is new it can be a pain :) After a while it gets easier to see!
By clarki
Superb info :thumbup:

Doing my research right now and all this helps. Is the suspension and brake system generally tough, any checks to consider there?
By kingofdbrits
clarki wrote:Superb info :thumbup:

Doing my research right now and all this helps. Is the suspension and brake system generally tough, any checks to consider there?
The suspension is quite hard, it's fine on smooth roads but can be a bit tiresome on bumby B roads so make sure you find one on the test drive! There's nothing unique to look for on type r's brakes, just the usual wear on pads & disks. I wouldn't say they're tough.
By clarki
Thanks, we had an older type r a few years ago, but then did the house thing, back on our feet again now so hoping to improve the daily driver, which is currently a 1.2 punto.

Thinking of the newer model this time though. We have a trackday toy so the honda will purely be used for commuting and pleasure, so comfort as well as performance and economy/reliabilty as you can probably imagine are all very important.
By skix
kingofdbrits wrote: - Sometimes when you press the "engine start" button the engine doesn't start. Not sure what causes it but it's nothing to worry about, mine has been doing it (though rarely) since new.
This is a 'known' fault and is because of the chamfering on the flywheel causing the starter not to engage, I had my flywheel changed at the dealership under warranty, I am just annoyed that I didn't mention it before when it was in for the Third gear synchro fix and they had the gearbox out then, so now it's been out twice on 2 separate visits but hey it's all good and covered under warranty, so no more dodgy starts. The last thing you want is for the Starter motor to seize when the car is out of warranty, get it sorted! :roll:
By ChampWhite4L3X
thats a good little guide, i pick mine up next week so il be checking for those things. But with any car if you take the oil cap off and the oil is a cream colour walk away!
By Shawy-TypeR
Anyone had any problems with the Radio reception?!?!? ..... It was working ok then this morning couldn't get reception at all?

By the way Im a new FN2 Type R owner 57 plate.

I think its deep bronze colour ... It looks black.

Oh and im addicted to vtec! :laughabove:
By skyhighsy
Afternoon Guys,
Can anyone confirm that there is a motion sensor in the civic type r FN2's?? Because mine doesn't work as the per the below statement from above, the Honda garage reckons that it doesn't have a motion sensor?? How can I prove them wrong?

"The alarm not working on the car is a common fault and can be fixed under warranty. To check if it works, open the windows and lock the car then wave your hands inside. If the alarm goes off then you don't have a problem"

Cheers

Si
By Sedge
The alarm takes 25 seconds to arm IIRC... but try clapping I can't remember if it is motion or sound.
Sedge
By skyhighsy
Hello all,
Well my type R warranty expires in march 2011, so I thought id tell you all about my issues over the past 2 years and 9 months.

Clutch ; Since about 10,000km's (now done 56,000) the clutch made a fantastic chewbacca screeching noise at the grab point, this has been back and forth over the past couple of years as I still believed HONDA should repair this fault, may UK civic type R owners have this problem. But still Honda haven't done diddly squat, to me it is a problem as it does cause the clutch not to disengage properly sometimes.

Door rust - Yep got that too, just in the top corner of the door

Gear stick boot - got that replaced last week - crap quality

Clutch Again - this time, tapping, creaking as you push the pedal down and release, something’s going in the master cylinder, honda garage has bodged it for the mo until they can find out exactly what’s wrong with it.

Rear Seat - Middle section - pivot point - Rust, photo has been sent off to honda Australia via the garage.

Engine /electronics- last 6 months, I have noticed if the aircon is on and the engine is ticking over the revs sometimes drop dramatically and it struggles to tick over, it feels like its going stall, also sometimes the engine just cuts out as you apply the accelerator, its like the electronics just cut out, not sure if the sensor on the pedal is faulty, Honda garage couldn't find this issue as its intermittent.

So all in all should i keep this car?? What do you guys think??

If the clutch issues continue this could cost some money on a yearly basis and has anyone got an idea of how much it is to replace a clutch in one of these?

Or do I buy a mazda 3 MPS?

Cheers
By sazzey
skyhighsy wrote:Hello all,
Well my type R warranty expires in march 2011, so I thought id tell you all about my issues over the past 2 years and 9 months.

Clutch ; Since about 10,000km's (now done 56,000) the clutch made a fantastic chewbacca screeching noise at the grab point, this has been back and forth over the past couple of years as I still believed HONDA should repair this fault, may UK civic type R owners have this problem. But still Honda haven't done diddly squat, to me it is a problem as it does cause the clutch not to disengage properly sometimes.

Door rust - Yep got that too, just in the top corner of the door

Gear stick boot - got that replaced last week - crap quality

Clutch Again - this time, tapping, creaking as you push the pedal down and release, something’s going in the master cylinder, honda garage has bodged it for the mo until they can find out exactly what’s wrong with it.

Rear Seat - Middle section - pivot point - Rust, photo has been sent off to honda Australia via the garage.

Engine /electronics- last 6 months, I have noticed if the aircon is on and the engine is ticking over the revs sometimes drop dramatically and it struggles to tick over, it feels like its going stall, also sometimes the engine just cuts out as you apply the accelerator, its like the electronics just cut out, not sure if the sensor on the pedal is faulty, Honda garage couldn't find this issue as its intermittent.

So all in all should i keep this car?? What do you guys think??

If the clutch issues continue this could cost some money on a yearly basis and has anyone got an idea of how much it is to replace a clutch in one of these?

Or do I buy a mazda 3 MPS?

Cheers
Buy a mazda huge power reserves,I've had similar issues on a 59 plate.
By Ali_Star
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, just bought my FN2 and picking it up soon.
Saw this thread whilst doing my reseach on FN2's and common problems, and checked them against the car before I bought it.
Cheers again for the piece of mind I know have on my new Type R :-D
By w4lt0ntoffee
Only other thing I've noticed on mine (09 CTR) is creaky either springs or shocks on the rears when starting off in the morning not sure if anyone else had similar prob ? Only lasts a few seconds then is fine....to be fair my knees make the same sounds these days when I get up but that's from too much round and oval ball action over the years !

I'm going to try some copper grease on them if and when I ever get chance to jack her up and have a look under her.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]