The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to the MY07+ (FN2 & FD2) Civic Type R.
EvoStu wrote:
Welshy81 wrote:Noticed that along the seal where the windscreen meets the roof there is rust. It's not terrible but is noticeable and is worse on the area beneath the seal when peeled back. Trip to Honda who have taken photos and are awaiting approval from Honda UK for full roof re spray and treatment. Car is only a 57 plate and has already had door rust treated.

It's just not acceptable that modern cars like these should be suffering from rust so early on. Whether its down to seals being too tight and cutting into the paint or poor paint quality, there's no excuse. I have total confidence in the car mechanically, I'm sure the engine will last forever but what's the point if the rest of the car has rusted away!! My first and last Honda!
Slight overreaction imo.
I don't see how! Like many people I've had my fair share of cars over the years but none have suffered rust problems when less than 6 years old and espicially when the car was over £20k ! Yes all cars have niggles and faults but rust shouldn't be there at this age! I've owned cheaper cars with better body work.
Welshy81 wrote:
EvoStu wrote:
Welshy81 wrote:Noticed that along the seal where the windscreen meets the roof there is rust. It's not terrible but is noticeable and is worse on the area beneath the seal when peeled back. Trip to Honda who have taken photos and are awaiting approval from Honda UK for full roof re spray and treatment. Car is only a 57 plate and has already had door rust treated.

It's just not acceptable that modern cars like these should be suffering from rust so early on. Whether its down to seals being too tight and cutting into the paint or poor paint quality, there's no excuse. I have total confidence in the car mechanically, I'm sure the engine will last forever but what's the point if the rest of the car has rusted away!! My first and last Honda!
Slight overreaction imo.
I don't see how! Like many people I've had my fair share of cars over the years but none have suffered rust problems when less than 6 years old and espicially when the car was over £20k ! Yes all cars have niggles and faults but rust shouldn't be there at this age! I've owned cheaper cars with better body work.
You can get rust on any car.
EvoStu wrote:
Welshy81 wrote:
EvoStu wrote:

Slight overreaction imo.
I totally agree but I find it hard to accept it on a car that cost £22k when new and is less than 6 years old. Plus it's a common problem with the model.
Welshy81 wrote:
EvoStu wrote:
Welshy81 wrote:
EvoStu wrote:

Slight overreaction imo.
I totally agree but I find it hard to accept it on a car that cost £22k when new and is less than 6 years old. Plus it's a common problem with the model.
LOL no offence but what does the price of the car have to do with it? At the end of the day its a cheap mass produced hatchback.

There are some threads out there about Bentley's and Astons showing rust after less than 2 years.

It happens.
scot wrote:I don't think its acceptable. But if you are getting it repaired foc then there can't be many complaints
I wouldn't say its acceptable either but the reality is that it can and will happen to a car regardless of price.

As the person is getting a repair done as you say foc, then there really can't be much to complain about.
hi fellas....great thread on the whole rust issue.

i have a question though, as i am doing some civic rype r shopping tommorow i am trying to woek out what should i do if i encounter this rust issue. if the car is 07 - 09 it wont be under the manufacturers warranty so jow much does it cost for thw issue to be rectified? if it is bad as the buyera guide says, walk away, but if the rest of the car is fine but theis ruat in the doors or qindow frames what is the course of action?

regards

whisky
The FN2 came with a number of warranties. One was "12 year structural corrosion", as the rust is hidden behind a seal this should cover the door rust. As I understand the way Honda define between that and "surface corrosion" is if it is visible without removing anything. In this case you have to pull the seal back.
If you're buying from a dealer get them to sort it in the sale price then it's no problem to you if they pay or recover it for HUK. If buying privately have a word with you're local dealer first, photos might help.
I am not buying privately butbalso not from a Honda dealer. One is an independent garage and the other is a Renault garage. Would either presumably sort this issue? Where can I find out more about the warranties on that specific car...take the reg and ring my local Honda dealer and see what they have to say?

Regards

Whisky
WhiskyDelta wrote:I am not buying privately butbalso not from a Honda dealer. One is an independent garage and the other is a Renault garage. Would either presumably sort this issue? Where can I find out more about the warranties on that specific car...take the reg and ring my local Honda dealer and see what they have to say?

Regards

Whisky
If its not a Honda garage then really you're buying as seen. You can take the vin number and contact Honda uk via the telephone on the website and they'll advise you.
EvoStu wrote:
Composite Guru wrote:Once again, great british build quality!!! The EP3 doors used to rust badly too. :evil:
Matt I've had two EP3's and neither of mine had rust on them?

EvoStu.
Mine did, exactly same lication just underneath the rubber seal. Only found it out of curiosity.
Still waiting for honda uk to approve it. Even though i sold the car 5 years ago.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]