The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The nerds hangout. Anything technology related. TV's, phones, PC's, consoles this is the place!!
Right, it seems there are a lot of people on here who have an interest in this.
This will use the Plex Media Server supported by many Smart TV's, PS3, Xbox, phones etc. This tutorial is done entirely from memory, so if I've made a mistake or missed something out, let me know.
What you need
A Server
You're going to need some sort of device which will act as the Plex Server. For this tutorial I'm going to suggest the HP ProLiant Microserver. These are always on some sort of cashback offer so just wait until the time comes around.
  1. HP ProLiant Microserver
Note: Several members on here use NAS boxes such as Synology. I've got no experience with these, however for Synology, I believe there are packages available for the software I will cover for downloading. Alternatively you can use an existing computer or put one together yourself

A Plex compatible client
There are plenty of Plex compatible clients out there now, some TV's even come with a Plex app. Just to name a few:
  1. Google Chromecast
    Amazon Fire TV
    PS4
    Xbox One
smartie wrote:Any of the main players will do, not apple TV though as they are a pain.

Software
You're going to need to following software. Not all of this is needed so just picked and choose what you want.
  1. Sickbeard - This is only needed if you want something to manage your TV Show 'Subscriptions'. It works with SABnzb to download TV Shows
    SABnzb - This is only needed if you're using it in conjunction with Sickbeard
    Plex Media Server
Setting up the server
At this point I'm going to assume you already have a computer connected to the network (preferably via ethernet) and an operating system installed. You can skip the rest.

Your Server
Create yourself a folder structure on your hard drive. I suggest something like:
Drive root -> Movies
-> Photos
-> TV
-> Music

Right click on each of the folders and click Share with -> Specific People.
Make sure "everyone" has Read/Write permissions. If they're not there, then type in 'Everyone' and add them
Setting up your server for downloading
If you don't have any content for the Pi to find, then you might want to consider using Sickbeard and SABnzb to manage your favourite TV Shows. What this part will do is show you how to create a setup which will automatically download the latest episodes, rename them and file them into the correct folders so the Pi detects them automatically. It will require a newsgroup subscription though.

For this I would recommend News Demon. I can't post links as I've ran out, however if you want to use my referral link then you can get the Pro account for £6p/m:
  1. newsdemon.com/?ref=10197198
Installing SABnzb
Now we're going to setup SABnzb. This will do all your downloading.
  1. Download and install SABnzb onto the machine which is holding your media. It's a web browser GUI, so once its installed open it up and click the config tab at the top.
    Go to the 'Folders' page. What you're going to need to do is set the 'Completed Download' location and remember where it is. We'll use 'G:/Downloads' for the tutorial
    Go to the 'Servers' page and click 'Add New Server'. In here put in your details from News Demon. Mine for instance are:
    • Host: europe-ssl.newsdemon.com
      Port: 563
      Connections: 50
      Retention: 1325
      Timeout: 120
      SSL: Yes
    Go to the 'General' page and take a note of the 'API Key'

Installing Sickbeard
Sickbeard is going to be your Internet PVR. Just tell it what shows you want and it'll go find them when they're released.
Note: With the recent shutdown of NZBMatrix, this sometimes may take time to find the files
  1. Download and install Sickbeard onto the same machine. Like SABnzb, this runs in a web browser, so once its installed open it up.
    Once its open, go to Config -> Search Settings.
    • Under NZB Search, tick the 'Search NZBs' box.
      From the dropdown select SABnzb
      Put in the URL to SABnzb. This might be (http://) localhost:8080
      Put your SABnzb username and password if you set once up
      Copy in your SABnzb API Key you took down.
      Click test to make sure its working. Then click Save Changes
    Go to Config -> Post Processing
    • Set the 'TV Download Dir' to the location you told SABnzb to save Completed Files to.
      Tick 'Rebane Episodes' and 'Scan and Process'
      Save
    Scroll down to 'Naming'
    • Under 'Naming Pattern' select custom
      In the next box you can set your custom naming convention. I use Season %S\%SN S%0SE%0E %EN. It will give you an example of what it looks like below
      Save Changes
Adding Content
This bit is fairly straight forward. Just click Home->Add New Show
You can now follow the wizard through, make sure you use the Next buttons and don't press 'Add Show' until the end

That's it. You're done! You should now have a fully functioning and automated Media Server and watch the shows from your Raspberry Pi using Raspbmc.

Setting up Plex Media Server
This bit is straight forward as well. Install Plex Media Server, and follow through the instructions. Setup the folders to point at the directories you set in SabNZB/Sickbeard above and wait for the library to populate
Access Plex
Install Plex onto your mobile device, or load up the app on whatever platform you have. Sign in using the same details as the server, and all your content should be there. Enjoy!
Last edited by Evostance on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 18 times in total.
jymmm wrote:Appletv -> job done + AirPlay mirroring

Plus remote app
Tied to proprietary systems and services, not good.. And no dlna

And if you mention jailbrake then you are admitting you bought a deficient or wrong product
NyseriA wrote:Not necessarily, you're simply agreeing that being tied to the proprietary is silly. Nowt wrong with the devices themselves.

Thanks for the guide though Evostance; something I might get around to at some point :lol:
No problem.
I'll update it later to include auto TV show downloading and archiving and spruce it up a bit.
There's no way to centre text on this forum though :(
NyseriA wrote:Not necessarily, you're simply agreeing that being tied to the proprietary is silly. Nowt wrong with the devices themselves.

Thanks for the guide though Evostance; something I might get around to at some point :lol:
Atv has no dlna support and depends on iTunes for source... Simply saying that people bang on about how awesome it is and then have to make big changes to make it do what they need

... This thread highlites the fact that there is a world outside of apple that can do so much more if people take the blinkers off
Omni wrote:So basically I'd just need to install this serviio program on a PC and connect it to my smart tv?

Where do I get all the content from, shady torrent sites?
Yup. Well install it and setup the content. Your TV should then see it. I dunno where it is on most, but on our Bravia I think it appears under Video on the XMB

And wherever you want. I'll update the tutorial when I'm home on how to automate it. All software is legal so up to you how you use it :lol:
Omni wrote:So basically I'd just need to install this serviio program on a PC and connect it to my smart tv?

Where do I get all the content from, shady torrent sites?
Just use all the music and media that you purchased and stream this
If there is a DLNA source available on the network then DLNA automatically appears on the source menu on the TV

I only really have music that I've downloaded, can I convert existing DVDs and blurays to store on a media server?
mjhamilton wrote:

Plus remote app

And if you mention jailbrake then you are admitting you bought a deficient or wrong product
I have 3TB of media on iTunes and I am not tied to it in anyway. It will all play on any media device when/if I change.
smartie wrote:
mjhamilton wrote:

Plus remote app

I have 3TB of media on iTunes and I am not tied to it in anyway. It will all play on any media device when/if I change.
Good for you

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]