The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those Complete Power Boosting & Drivetrain Mods..
Forum rules: 
Please keep personal insults to yourselves.
Opinions and discussion are welcomed but the name calling and petty retorts are now becoming tiresome and getting in the way of what would otherwise be a great section with a lot of useful information.
Personally insulting posts and those serving little purpose except to incite argument will be removed and authors warned. FYI, we operate a multiple warning and automatic ban system.
I am reluctant to post this, but would like to see peoples opinions, I have been in touch with a mechanic about this issue, but I want owners ideas as well.

Since getting my JRSC fitted in December there has been an on off squeak/squeal from the aux/fan belt. It got so so so loud I changed the belt at the start of the year, then the belt ribbed a rib off :scratch: but the car was drivable, there was no problem it just seemed to have moved for some reason, changed the belt again and put a new supercharger pulley on as well as the mechanic and I didn't like the look of the one that was there, after that everything was great, no belt noises for ages!

Then a few weeks ago in the mornings the belt has been slightly squeaky again, this went away quickly enough, after about 5 minutes of driving, but now in the last 2 days the noise has been lasting a lot longer and getting louder, really taking a good 20minutes to go away, can't understand what is making the noise return :scratch:

Anybody experienced this before, I can't possibly need to change the belt every 500-1000 miles, I am running the OEM modded tensioner, thinking of actually changing to the jackson tensioner now incase this is the issue.

Carlos has been a massive help with this before, but don't fancy annoying him again :lol: Just can't understand why the noise returns, or what is causing it to make the noise in the 1st place :scratch:
It's not a big big problem at all, just annoying and sounds like that car is about 100 years old :lol: anyone got any worth while input about it?
Last edited by bluntcap on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By RM CYA
manual or auto tensioner?

how did it rip a rib off the belt? is the pulley aligned correctly? doesnt need spacing at all does it?

bit of talc on the inside of the belt son and it will go away :wink:
By Stevo M81
Well it is getting on abit that EP3 of yours blunty, time to sell and get the EVO :wink:

That will solve the squeal :lol:
By bluntcap
RM CYA wrote:manual or auto tensioner?

how did it rip a rib off the belt? is the pulley aligned correctly? doesnt need spacing at all does it?

bit of talc on the inside of the belt son and it will go away :wink:
Modded auto tensioner mate.

No idea about the belt, myself and my mechanic mate fitted it, turned the car over a few times and let it run to ensure the ribs were lined up, all was sweet. Popped the bonnet a few days later to show a mate the JRSC and was like WTF :scratch: So that was when I changed the pulley for a new one, as the old one had a few marks and I wasn't happy with it.

So it's just the noise now...........Talc......really? How can talc help exactly?

Or is this an epic tarp, I go out and put talc on my car and you just LOL yourself crazy :lol:
By bluntcap
Stevo M81 wrote:Well it is getting on abit that EP3 of yours blunty, time to sell and get the EVO :wink:

You have no idea how much I want to mate :lol: But alas, must buy house......oh sold the apartment :wink:
By Stevo M81
bluntcap wrote:
Stevo M81 wrote:Well it is getting on abit that EP3 of yours blunty, time to sell and get the EVO :wink:

You have no idea how much I want to mate :lol: But alas, must buy house......oh sold the apartment :wink:
Didnt take that long selling the apartment matey, wont be long before your out of that house now and into your new one. Will have to call up when you get the new pad. Sure you never know once you get sorted with the house things mite iron out that you can get the EVO. Saying that your EP3 is alot of fun and scary fast :twisted:
By bluntcap
Stevo M81 wrote:
bluntcap wrote:

Didnt take that long selling the apartment matey, wont be long before your out of that house now and into your new one. Will have to call up when you get the new pad. Sure you never know once you get sorted with the house things mite iron out that you can get the EVO. Saying that your EP3 is a lot of fun and scary fast :twisted:
Yea it was amazing it went so soon, really allows us to look to the future now. Yea the EP is great fun and fast but times are coming where it's time for a change I think :wink: Yea I'll get you up when I get the new place......you probably still won't have Hondata :lol:
By Stevo M81
bluntcap wrote:
Stevo M81 wrote:
bluntcap wrote:

Didnt take that long selling the apartment matey, wont be long before your out of that house now and into your new one. Will have to call up when you get the new pad. Sure you never know once you get sorted with the house things mite iron out that you can get the EVO. Saying that your EP3 is a lot of fun and scary fast :twisted:
Yea it was amazing it went so soon, really allows us to look to the future now. Yea the EP is great fun and fast but times are coming where it's time for a change I think :wink: Yea I'll get you up when I get the new place......you probably still won't have Hondata :lol:
Hondata wont be this year, waiting to Jan to get it as its my birthday, only coming 25 :lol:
By bluntcap
Mr_kai wrote:does it sound like this ??

http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 0&t=248568
Yes and no......it is a squeak/squeal not the same as yours though but very similar, it makes no noise on idle when warmed up, if i go out now and start the car it may make the noise as the car has had time to cool down.

I see you used talc, has that sorted it for you? Or what else have you done? I'd say we have the same issue.
By samidbs
Are you sure the noise is not coming from the charger ?

When I had mine I had a belt changed ( belt dressing ) No talc though

In the end I had a problem with a bearing in the charger where the pulley connects

And that was changed under warranty

By bluntcap
Hey samidbs, yea I'm pretty sure it's not, when it 1st happened months ago and I placed a wet cloth on the belt as the car was running the noise disappeared, anytime I cleaned the belt or sprayed belt dressing it removed the noise. I felt if it was a mechanical issue inside the charger arm or a bearing then me simply cleaning the belt of had no affect on the noise. See where I'm coming from? And when i changed the belt the noise completely went........for a certain amount of time.
By jreedy
it'll more than likely be the auto tensioner

mine used to do it every now and again.............try a bit of spray grease on the wheel of the tensioner!

used to work for me................
By jonezy
bluntcap wrote:A gates belt, supplied from CPL every time. Cannot find another make of belt that do the size 7PK 1540, been told it is a very random size.
i use the exact same belt, so cant be that.

try another tensioner possibly? thats all i can think it might be
By bluntcap
jreedy wrote:it'll more than likely be the auto tensioner

mine used to do it every now and again.............try a bit of spray grease on the wheel of the tensioner!

used to work for me................
I'm not spraying that crap in my bay again, I did it with the last belt and yes it stopped it squealing......next morning it was louder than ever, so no way.

going try the talc mentioned above tomorrow, after that, may look into another auto tensioned and new belt, well i have a new belt here so just another tensioner, mind you the one I got was 100% as I sent it to Carlos to modify and he checked the bearings and he said they were 100%
By RM CYA
When the belts off check for play in all the pulleys, try somehow to see if all the pulleys are aligned. Start it up, sprinkle a bit of talc on the ribs of the belt as its running.

If it starts squealing, take a vid, have a butch at the belt/pulleys see if anything is misaligned (might be hard to see by eye). Flick the AC on to make sure it's not the AC clutch thats noisey when it's not engaged.

Then get back to us.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]