The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...

does your car pull to a side for no reason?

Pulls to the Left
25%
Pulls to the Right
52%
Does not pull
23%
By CTR Nick
Change the tyres they are crap
By gfunk
Well done Nick, thats really constructive :!:

We are trying to get to the bottom of this problem, and make sure Honda UK are aware that this is a widespread issue, most people simply can't just get new tyres, mine have only done 4k. Anyway if the tyres were that 'crap' why did Honda choose them above all others :?:

The problem is not the tyres... if it was wouldn't this problem affect every single CTR produced. Think about it :wink:
By Tremor
Think they chose them cause they got a *ahem* deal *ahem* from their Japanese cousins Bridgestone and therefore Honda are able to price the car more attractively.

They're not crap tyres....but there are better one's on the market for our car.

I would agree that the tyres can't be at fault for all the problems we've seen with the steering and suspension.

You gotta laugh that they release a car that requires a precision of setup that none of their dealers actually have the equipment to do. :lol:
By CTR Nick
gfunk wrote:Well done Nick, thats really constructive :!:
Thank you
gfunk wrote:We are trying to get to the bottom of this problem, and make sure Honda UK are aware that this is a widespread issue, most people simply can't just get new tyres, mine have only done 4k. Anyway if the tyres were that 'crap' why did Honda choose them above all others :?:
Economics and dry weather performance.

gfunk wrote:The problem is not the tyres... if it was wouldn't this problem affect every single CTR produced.
It appears that to some degree it does
gfunk wrote:Think about it :wink:
I did and now I have the perfect CTR

It can not be stated too often but the Standard Bridgestone tyres do not seem to work

My car exhibited more and more of the symptoms you describe as the fronts wore, at 10K I changed them for a full set of Gooyear F1
- the car was transformed
- handled just as well in the dry
- HANDLED in the wet
- the high level of road noise was reduced to a wisper.

The tyres that came off showed perfectly even wear on both the fronts and rears. The fronts were approx 60% worn - the rears less than 5%.

At 18K the fronts are maybe 30% worn and rears 5%
By Anderoo
Voted - My pulls to the left slighty

Honda told me this was *normal* for the CTR and not a problem. My answer "What a load of horse dung"
By gfunk
CTR Nick wrote:
gfunk wrote:Think about it :wink:
I did and now I have the perfect CTR
Fair enough Nick :D I'm glad you've got a perfect CTR.

Your comments on changing tyres seem valid, I can't comment as I've only experienced the stock bridgestones, but I don't think your problems can have been as severe as the ones I'm experiencing. I don't think simply changing tyres is the solution to my problem, and Honda UK certainly don't either as my car has to go into the dealers to have revised rear suspension parts fitted.

Let's hope I'm as happy with my CTR in a couple of weeks as you are with yours.

greg
By zstevesingoz
It dosn't matterr a sh**e what tyres you are using. The fact is if all your tyres were fitted at the same time and you car pulls to the right then the car is at fault, not the tyres!
By Richrolo
I've got a CTR 30. After 2 months it started Notching to the left when steering, (As if the PAS cut on and Off). Honda said that it was likely to be a bad connection to the Electronic PAS. After they had it for a day they gave it me back.

I then found that when the car was on the motorway it still did it. They have now fiited a whole new PAS system (the first available in the Uksince they resolved the knocking probelm that CTR's suffer with).

It has been a week since it was done, and its a different car completely. The steering is very solid and responsive, as if you were in a go kart.

Any queries contact me.

Cheers Rich
By Juhaz
Voted - pulls to the right.

Just like EvoStu's CTR...
By melinamotor
Mine drifts to the left,but only gradually,I thought it might just be the road camber.

Tested the theory on a flat level piece of road and it was ok.

LeeD
By bumblebee
Car has done just under 1000 miles... From the beginning, noticeable light pull to the right, much more obvious at motorway speeds. Not as bad as it was initially, but car still drifts right *against* the road camber. Doesn't make relaxed motorway cruising possible IMHO, even if it seems that the CTR likes to hunker towards it's natural environment in the outside lane!

Seems worse when the car is loaded up either with a full fuel tank or a suitcase in the boot....
By Type-R
My CTR steering wheel is like LEFT a bit but i dont think it pulls ... but its pissing me off :evil: because i got it yesterday ... and ther is another problem is it normal that when the RPM is on 4000 and u take ur feet of the throtil u can hear a racking noise from the engine but then it goes away is that normal ??
By franky
I've voted. Mine pulls to the right when I centre my steering wheel too. Not amused.
By franky
I've voted. Mine pulls to the right when I centre my steering wheel too.

Not amused. :cry:
By tp
Pulls to the right quite bad on motorways. Can't take hands off wheel!
By smartie
No pulling either way, except when the tyre pressures are out.....even then its only slight. Gotta make sure your pressures are spot on (I know some have mechanical problems, but this does help with minor pulling).
By bunnykins
mines pull to the right - if u take your hands off on a straight road,
it changes lane in seconds - so constant pressure to hold the steering
wheel to compensate - tiring on long journeys.
tracking has been checked before - tyre pressures checked.
had the CTR now nearly 2 years - essex dealers still not sorting it out
or say there is no problem with it .............bl**dy idiots !!
[ been to dealers in wickford / chelmsford / colchester - so avoid
these ]

btw - thanks stanford for orgainsing this

evostu - please make this topic a sticky as it is important [ thanks ]
By England-R
Mine pulls to the right - I'm sure it isn't the camber of the road.

I've tried it on various types of roads, it mainly happens at 55-75mph. I have a 04 CTR. I haven't contacted Honda as this may just be a little characteristic of CTR.
By TheRedBaron
BUT do you not think this characteristic is some what dangerous?
(everyone is putting up and shutting up typical british stiff upper lip)

ford's mondeo used to pull to the left,they recalled/or fixed them instead of just fobbing thier customers off!

i think it does'nt help that honda have such poor customer relations,
but this might be the case with all manufactures.?!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]