The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a problem with your CTR? Tell us about them here...
Newannaive wrote:lasted nearly 4 months matty...

maybe try something a bit more long lasting than wd40 this time, should last a bit longer.
yeah wondering if i can put grease in there? that wont dry out like spray lubricant

would love to take off the rubber things and see whats there and going on underneath
djtopa wrote:Can someone of you please answer quest I asked here?THNX :thumbup:
http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/view ... 0&t=175266
if you look down the back of your engine you will see 2 rubber sleeves on each side of the steering rack...roughly where the 2 yellow lines are below..

make small incisions/cuts along each sleeve and use some spray lube to grease up the workings inside
djtopa wrote:I always think that noise come from inside of steering rack :ymca:
OK,I looked ,do U mean here where I make red cyrcles(sorry 'bout bad English),at the and of steering arms:

The 2 big rubber boots that look like this...

hello people, i`am a newcomer to the website, and was wondering if anybody had any knowledge of the differances between the steering rack from a pre-facelift (2001-2004) and a rack off a facelift model (2004-2006).

i own a 2002 model and have experienced many of the same problems as disscussed on the forum concerning dodgy steering. about 12 months after buying the car (about 2 years back) the steering felt very vague and sloppy in the corners, and sometimes even in a straight line. after lots of wondering what the hell the problem was it was decided the steering rack was knackered. so i found replacement, also off a 2002 model. between me and my very helpful dad replaced the rack, got the wheel alignment done and it was spot on!

Untill a few months back when everything started again, now its got 2 the point where it creeks when parking and pulls all over the place round corners. its def the rack again, but now knowing about the common occurance of this problem, i think they re-designed the rack for the face lift model. so was wondering if i could put a rack of a facelift on a pre-facelift, ie are all connections the same, are gear ratios the same? honda do stock 2 racks so i`am hoping the differances are just internal?
if its only rubber that your peircing to lube the inside if the rack , why dont you put a dab of super glue over the hole to seal it up... if worried about crap getting in. it seals rubber nicely!!! good to know this fix chaps :thumbup:
RM CYA wrote:if its only rubber that your peircing to lube the inside if the rack , why dont you put a dab of super glue over the hole to seal it up... if worried about crap getting in. it seals rubber nicely!!! good to know this fix chaps :thumbup:
theres really no need to glue the slits up or worry about it at all...it will need doing again in the future so just use the same holes.
Just done this morning = and peace at last no more squeaks and creaks :WOOT
I used some long nosed pliers to pierce a pin hole sized hole and then just pushed the straw adapter bit into the hole,and then when you pull it back out it pretty much seals it self-thanks for the help guys :thumbup:
just updating matty's thread as it seems to have grown into a nice collection of success stories. :thumbup:

here's a couple of pics of where I pierced the steering rack boots to spray wd40 inside. Turn the steering to full lock so that it opens up the pleats in the rubber boot. This is a couple of pics of the drivers side of the rack, just do the same to the other side. It is best to check with the can of lube that you can actually reach whereabouts you are going to make an incision beforehand, as the passenger side is a bit harder to get at. Each incision was done with a new stanley knife blade and is about 2-3mm, once you withdraw the straw it virtually re-seals itself. On each incision spray towards the centre of the rack and give it a good 5-6secs spray at least.

MattyMcRae wrote:great pics mate nice 1

mine is starting to do it again, heard it a couple times in last couple weeks... maybe do it again soon.. a longer term fix would be very desirable.. stick some copper grease in there or something?
dunno, maybe. Mine hasn't come back since the first time I did it.. :cool:
MattyMcRae wrote:hmmm ok ill do more holes and spray more in this time then like you have.. i have only nervously done one hole each side and a quick squirt
aye, more spray matey, really give it a good soaking.
Newannaive wrote:just updating matty's thread as it seems to have grown into a nice collection of success stories. :thumbup:

here's a couple of pics of where I pierced the steering rack boots to spray wd40 inside. Turn the steering to full lock so that it opens up the pleats in the rubber boot. This is a couple of pics of the drivers side of the rack, just do the same to the other side. It is best to check with the can of lube that you can actually reach whereabouts you are going to make an incision beforehand, as the passenger side is a bit harder to get at. Each incision was done with a new stanley knife blade and is about 2-3mm, once you withdraw the straw it virtually re-seals itself. On each incision spray towards the centre of the rack and give it a good 5-6secs spray at least.

thankyou for this N&N, sorry to revive an old thread but i need to know where this is (so i can find it easier!!) me and my mate both have the creaking (mines very slight, seems to be just as i pull away while steering - as is trevs) so will be buying us some WD40 asap!!

cheers again!!

mat.
ps. is there anything better than WD40 for this job lube wise and where can i get it?
:salut:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]