The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By MarshallEP3
New to this site, but a member of Type-R-Owners.co.uk.. So just going copy and paste my thread from the beginning..

Left a couple of boring bits out so hopefully still makes sense.. :!:

New to the site so thought I'd introduce myself and start a thread!

I'm new to Honda's as I'm a bit of a Vauxhall guy.. This is the first car i've owned that isn't a vauxhall and i love it!
I had a mk4 astra but retardedly reversed it into a bollard and couldnt face driving it with the massive dent that was left :evil:

A mate of mine was selling his EP3 cheap as he got a new car so for the price he said I could have it for I couldn't say no! I really had no plan to make any modifications on it because I also own a Nova GSi which is where i spend most my time, but as soon as I drove the EP3 i was in love haha.. So now my plans have changed, i want to clean up the civic and make a few mods.

So the car.. like i said i got it for a right bargain! Its not in the best condition body wise, but it has full service history and runs sweet, has 145k on the clock which ive heard isn't actually alot for these cars/engines?

The only modification on it is, sportex centre section and backbox.

So heres some pics of how it sits now, came with no back seats but first thing I did was took a 4 hour round trip to grab some!

After a clean and polish

Need to source a new front bumper due to this crack

A new wing as the passenger side has a dent in

Has two small dinks in the rear quarter which im going to enquire about getting out

And a small dent in the roof which is hard to get a pic of

Sportex 4"

Usual bolster wear..

And the wheels are in desperate need of a refurb!

Like I said the plan was to just use it as daily and not bother doing anything to it but, its way too much fun so im looking forward to tidying it up and making some mods!

Sean :D

Added in 58 seconds:
So a couple of small updates this weekend, got my rear wiper grommet and blanked that off..

Then changed the gearbox oil

Also bought a new steering wheel with only a small amount of wear as my current one has a tear!

Then as requested, pictures of the nova

More updates to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Added in 1 minute 3 seconds:
Another little update tonight, had no gaitor so got a carbon wrapped centre console off a mate with one on only fitted the bottom part atm

Before

After

And during that I also bought a Tegiwa quick shift off him and got it fitted

Fitted

That's all for now!

Added in 1 minute 51 seconds:
Got my purple honda badges today!

Also got a passenger wing to replace my dented one, so will be fitting that tomorrow.

Booked in for a service at Honda on Monday, then it'll be brakes and I can start modding properly !

Added in 47 seconds:
Got my new wing fitted today!

Before (dented)

Off

Putting back together

And done...

Slowly but surely getting there! Much tidier already.

Added in 1 minute 33 seconds:
Fitted my Tegiwa intake today, by far my fav mod, pretty sure I cut the scuttle too much but oh well it works, sounds amazing and feels more responsive! Definitely recommend it!

https://vimeo.com/125821218

Although I'll miss the whistle (video below) I think it sounds much better now! The intake drowns the whistle out so I can only hear it a tiny bit

https://vimeo.com/125821465

Added in 1 minute 28 seconds:
So I had a change of plans, I recently found out my girlfriend is pregnant, so I chose the cheaper option and sold the evo 8s in part exchange for some gloss black type r wheels, put some 215s on and I'm happy with the outcome, always wanted a stealth'd out car, also for my birthday just passed got tints and a sun strip, so now due to the baby on the way I'll just be doing little things, like getting rid of small dents and a new front bumper due to the crack.. So yeah slower updates from now! But I still intend to carry on [emoji4]

New wheels and tints

Sean!

Added in 1 minute 40 seconds:
Haven't updated in a while!

Not many updates though tbf, with preparing for my baby etc..

Firstly I tinted the rear lights

Then got bored of the purple badges so removed them and stuck with the standard red.. For now.

After a clean

Also added a 6two1 sticker, love the products and YouTube series

May aswell put up these vids aswell!

Trying to keep up with my mates tuned DC5:

https://vimeo.com/154348695

A little launch vid

https://vimeo.com/154348832

And lastly a tunnel run with my mates 350z
https://vimeo.com/154348964

Like I said not much of an update but now we're getting closer to show season hopefully I'll have some more in the next few months!

Added in 1 minute 9 seconds:
Couple of little bits bought!

Ordered myself a new gear knob and lug nuts, both in Neo chrome which will be the new theme I'll be going with..

Both 6TWO1 aswell, which I highly recommend [emoji1303]

In love with the colour!

Next up is wheels, coilovers and a service.. My service book is full up now so will just be doing it myself from now on.

Updates to come [emoji854]

Added in 1 minute 8 seconds:
Me and a couple of people I met through Instagram started a Facebook group for local ep3s and we had a mini-meet yesterday. Thought I'd post the pics!

going be a good start to show season being able to convoy..

If any of you are local in Bedfordshire join our Facebook group [emoji1303]

Civic Type R Owners: Bedfordshire

Added in 1 minute :
Had the ep3 about a year now and already done 16k miles! So was a little over due a service but got a couple of bits done today...

Engine oil
Oil filter
And gearbox oil change

Feels a lot smoother now [emoji1305] and still going strong at 162k, only visible problem I can see is the gearbox makes a little noise, Honda have said its the bearing but it's running fine atm.

Took a couple of pics with a friends 350z too.

Coilovers coming on 13th March!

Added in 48 seconds:
Finally made a decision on wether or not to keep mine or go for a lower mileage one..

So yeah, picked this up today!

80k miles, cosmic grey [emoji1305]

Well happy with it.. So smooth to drive compared to mine..

Body work is also much better than mine, scuff on the back bumper and a small dent behind the passenger door but all stuff that can be sorted as I go along.

First thing will be to change over a couple of parts from my old one ie

Tegiwa induction kit
Tegiwa short shift
6two1 weighted gear knob
And possibly my sportex catback

Then Ill be booking it in for a service and valve clearance check and finally the modding can start, looking forward to it [emoji1303]

Added in 42 seconds:
May aswell just carry on updating this thread rather than making a new one.

So Friday night after getting the cosmic my black one decided to split a cv boot and develop play in one of the ball joints..

Took that as an excuse to swap my insurance over and tax the new one, took it for a nice little 20 mile drive to Honda to get some gearbox oil and an oil filter for it, and I can believe how much smoother it is!

The gearbox feels a lot better and it's got a new clutch too so just feels like a new car to me.

So Saturday I got the black one trailer up to a friend of mines garage and we started on swapping my mods over:

Tegiwa M on! Missed this after driving the new one without it

Sportex cat back on

Also got my weighted gear knob and short shifter off the black one but didn't get any pics fitted.

After the mods I did oil and filter changes, was recommended to go from 5w 30 which I was putting in the old one to 5w 40 which I'll be putting in the new one, also recommended was Shell Helix ultra.

And some more pics of the cosmic and how the NHB sits now.

Now up for sale for £1300

Next will be an aux belt and pulley kit as the news currently a bit squeaky, some discs and pads all round, and the valve clearances done sometime next month.

Added in 1 minute 12 seconds:
No update as such, but gave the new car its first wash and polish so took the opportunity to get some proper exterior and interior pics.

Pic whore time..

And the interior..

Love the upgrade to red seats and door cards, and also a better pic of the 6two1 gear knob.

[emoji1303]

Added in 48 seconds:
Went to Dream Automotive in Watford today with a couple of locals friends with ep3s..

going be booking in my 80k major service and fitting lowering springs, camber arms and camber bolts within the next few weeks..

All to come!

Added in 46 seconds:
Well my NHB was sold yesterday, so I ordered some parts that will arrive in the next few days.

So today's package;

MTEC grooved and dimpled discs all round, with Honda pads

And to come..

Eibach ABP springs
Eibach rear camber arms
Eibach front camber bolts

[emoji1303]

Added in 56 seconds:
Another package today, the springs, camber arms and bolts

Tegiwa front drop links and oem track rod ends also on the way now..

Added in 44 seconds:
Last of my deliveries come today, Tegiwa drop links, camber bolts and tegiwa lug nut adapters which meant I could finally fit my 6TWO1 lug nuts to my OEM wheels..

[emoji1303]

Couple of bits done today..

Got the discs and pads all round fitted..

And the drop links.. Definitely think they're worth the buy, feel a lot better quality than the oem ones

Had a mate pop over and get his drop links fitted too

And a couple of mine [emoji1305]

That's it for now.. Next Friday night I'll be getting all the suspension on, booked in Saturday morning for the tracking and FRSU done [emoji594][emoji100]

Got round to taking the Type R badges off the side skirts today, did the same on my old ep3 think they're tacky!

And gave it a quick wash now we've got a bit of sun [emoji854]

Looking forward to Friday night, fitting all my suspension parts [emoji1305] hopefully all goes well..

By MarshallEP3
Well, lowered my car last night and got it aligned this morning..

New track rod ends and springs on

OEM vs Eibach/SPC camber arms

Rear done

Alignment

And done.

By MarshallEP3
Forgot to post what setup I went for in the alignment..

Before we got it done the rear camber was crazy! 3.5 degrees [emoji23]

Only pic I got of it

Alignment before, all over the place!

And after..

I based it on a thread I saw on here for a standard FRSU, I'm really happy with how it drives, but I may go for a little more camber on the back but the front feels perfect..

Little before and after pic too

So after lowering I had a horrible knocking noise coming from my N/S rear, changed drop links, took shock off to make sure was built correctly, bit the bullet and just bought new rear shocks.

Heard good things about Sachs and went for them, noise gone!

Back end sits a bit higher now but hoping it settles down in a few days, new shocks and springs n all.

Went to Mimms Honda day Sunday just gone.. Weather was good, and the show was sweet!

Got a couple good pics of my car, I ended up being invited on the Dream Automotive stand which is pretty cool [emoji1303]

Bring on Japfest this weekend

Salt on the roads was starting to ruin the lug nuts so took them off and put the steel ones back on, tbh I prefer them anyways so probably won't be putting them on again.

As of Monday I start my new job so hopefully can get back onto the cosmic [emoji1305]

Plans are as follows:

Valve clearances
Chain checked
Innovative front engine mount
JDM arbs

Then I've been looking into getting some wider wheels, considering Evo Enkeis again but will see what pops up at the time.

Hopefully some updates in the next couple weeks [emoji1303]

Went and picked up my new wheels today.. Got a right bargain..

Evo 8s in black, wrapped in Falkens.. They're only 205s but that's fine for now, the tyres are brand new so when they're done with I'll most probably roll my arches and go for 225s ..

Was my birthday on Wednesday, got a GoPro off my girlfriend, so went out with a friend of mine in his 350z earlier today and tried out the suction cup. Mounted it behind the Tegiwa scoop.

https://vimeo.com/169288948

Really hoping I can prepare my car for going on track this year, and get some track time in next show season!

Organised a meet with the local EP3 owners Sunday just gone and was quite a good turnout!

A shot of mine

And my favourite [emoji1305] spec list would be too long to list!

Not a bad turn out, 7 EP3s, 1 EP2 and 2 EGs..

Following the meet I ordered some engine mount inserts, I think the plan for me now is to get mine on track for next year, so from here on I'll be going for handling mods first then power!

Plans are:

Fit engine mount inserts
JDM rear arb
Roll my arches
Replace these horrible stretched 205s with 225s

Little go pro footage from the cruise up to the meet too

https://vimeo.com/170607244

So, mount inserts arrived this week.. Will be fitting saturday, looking forward to driving it after and feeling the difference!

Front and rear

Gearbox

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]