The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By Leejay-B
Round up of EP3 so far...

JOBS DONE

Tegiwa cat back exhaust
Tegiwa intake
Manifold and K100 mapping
Engine mount inserts (rear only)
Eibach springs
De badge front and rear
Replace 3 clearly rusty bolts in engine bay
FN2 gearknob
New black carpet matts
Remove under bonnet sound proofing

TO DO LIST

Black mesh behind bumper to protect radiator
Paint callipers black
Paint rocker cover as starting to flake bottom left corner
Clay, polish and wax, followed by photoshoot in good location
ENJOY THE CAR AND DON’T SELL IT

***Maybe RBC and update map? Not sure worth it?
****Maybe JDM rear anti roll bar

NOTE - since mapping and engine mount inserts I have barely driven car. Looking forward to experiencing the updated engine / power, plus feeling the benefit of engine mount inserts.
By Leejay-B
REVIEW.

Engine mount inserts - idle rattle minimised due to mapping putting idle a little higher at 900 rpm. Can barely tell, which tempts me to have front inserts put in. Currently small benefits in gearchange and jerkyness reduced on and off throttle.

Mapped engine - more pace and instant response throughout rev range. Reduced vtec switch sound due to progressive mapping. Still very nice intake and exhaust sound overall though.

Nice pace improvement at low revs. 2500/3000rpm still for warming car and poodling around.

Then I have 4000 rpm which is plenty for traffic gaps, general driving etc where you need a minimal zip of pace.

Vtec 4000-6000 rpm is nice and quick. Even staying in this power band car is circa 190 bhp at 6000 rpm. This could be approximately 7-8 second 0-60mph??? Because vtec is progressive and smooth the pace is masked compared to all or nothing standard car. 6000 rpm comes round quite quick so still have to be fast with the gearchanges which adds to the fun and is great down lanes for some pace without being mental.

Then I have full attack mode and high revs up to 8600 rpm (aim for 8200 to 8400 to keep away from limiter) - this is quick imo and for the road is best saved for rare (safe) occasions. Better being less often for fun and license.

So 3 cars in one - up to 4000 rpm for road speeds, up to 6000 rpm for fun, and up to 8000 rpm for full pace.

Glad I didnt number chase in the bhp hunt, as I doubt a decat and high ron fuel would feel much different, especially with rare full power use. Plus I never have to worry about fuel or mot's. So I can happily use 99 ron every 2 or 3 fill ups which is doable.

Further mods Im holding off from at the moment, could be better spent elsewhere - house / family. Will still keep car and forum in mind though as temptation never stops.

:-D
Last edited by Leejay-B on Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Leejay-B
PS - Update - all 4 brake calipers looked very tired, and part rusty. Spent 5 hours last weekend rubbing them down and now painted gloss black. So much tidier looking, and a nice subtle look too.
By Leejay-B
This whole EP3 experience came from missing 230 bhp R53 mini, and 215 bhp FN2.

I got rid of the BMW 130i for a more fun car, not for more speed!

Turns out my EP3 (memory of the 225 bhp flywheel being 189 bhp at wheels) is probably faster than the 130i based on EP3's in an old J Tuner magazine with 180-190 bhp at wheels doing 0 to 100 mph in 14.0 to 14.5 secs. BMW 130i was 15 secs plus to 100 mph. Got a fun honda hatch again, and a bonus of speed too.
Last edited by Leejay-B on Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Leejay-B
*nub* wrote:U wot dude?
Yeah reworded last few posts as they weren't written well...

Ordered front mount insert to go in as well as rear one, hoping to put it in after service in July.
By Leejay-B
Front mount insert in today after service.

I gather this is even safer for the aftermarket manifold with both front and rear inserts.

Great mod, and really not bad vibrations at all. Slight at idle, although as noted this is set at 900 rpm which helps.

Hardly any worse than with one set in, reckon the miles have bedded it in.
By Leejay-B
Front bumper off - now have black mesh behind grill to protect radiator from stones.
Fitted pics needed, will try when I have given car a good clean up followed by photoshoot somewhere decent.

JDM rear anti roll bar fitted with hardrace droplinks. Looks much tidier than original rusty item.

Good advice from here, just adds that finishing touch to a great rounded hot hatch. Not massively different, but slightly nicer handling and turn in, a touch less roll. This feels good at low to medium speeds and when just driving normally. Have not yet driven the car hard to feel what its like at higher cornering speeds.

No affect on ride comfort either. Therefore a top mod.
By Leejay-B
JOBS DONE

Tegiwa cat back exhaust
Tegiwa intake
Manifold and K100 mapping
Engine mount inserts (rear only)
Eibach springs
De badge front and rear
Replace 3 clearly rusty bolts in engine bay
FN2 gearknob
New black carpet matts
Remove under bonnet sound proofing
Black mesh behind bumper to protect radiator
Paint callipers black
JDM rear anti roll bar

TO DO LIST

Paint rocker cover as starting to flake bottom left corner
Clay, polish and wax, followed by photoshoot in good location
ENJOY THE CAR AND DON’T SELL IT
By *nub*
dude I was on another forum earlier, I think it was civinfo? Either im going mad or there's a guy with a different name with the exact same progress thread as you? :LOL:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]