The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
By jamesyy21x
Nice looking Cosmic! Going back to your FN2, do you rate Eurospec? My friend has a TDi mapped EP3 and thats not that quick considering its meant to have 242hp... lol. Although i dont actually care about the number i just want it to feel better in the low and mid range...
By Leejay-B
jamesyy21x wrote:Nice looking Cosmic! Going back to your FN2, do you rate Eurospec? My friend has a TDi mapped EP3 and thats not that quick considering its meant to have 242hp... lol. Although i dont actually care about the number i just want it to feel better in the low and mid range...
Cheers!

I rate Eurospec for their mapping, Romain works there and is well known.

Performance is hard, as really depends what you are used to and it's very subjective.

My EP3 is currently 225bhp at Eurospec which MIGHT be around 235bhp at TDI North. Partial throttle isn't much different, nor is low revs. But heavy throttle and the midrange 4000rpm to 6000rpm feels much better. Use full 8000rpm plus and it goes well.

But I rarely drive the car, so feels much better when I do, makes it feel faster. Also long main roads can make it feel worse due to the sensation of scenery etc, but feels alive down B roads etc.

Think I posted in here that some EP3s in a mag runway test were putting out around 190 bhp at the wheels. Mine made 189 at wheels, so should match their 0-100 mph times of low 14 second range. This is quite good IMO (using the back of evo mag for reference to other cars). Not bothered about higher speeds.

Car is progressive and no turbo hit though.

Fun and B roads is my thing... So more power a waste, but I still do consider more power sometimes.

Maybe have a go in some other tuned EP3s and see how they feel?
By *nub*
have to agree with that. my EP3 which would have been around 250bhp on tdi rollers only ever felt slow in the summer when I was literally racing it every day to work. Give it a few days rest or drive on a cold night and it feels quick again. Even stepping down to my FN2 now, which might only be 220bhp and it definitely slower, it still feels fast enough when I put my foot down, which isn't every day. Race every day and you'll get used to it... unless you're over 300bhp per tonne and boosted then I guess you'll always be shocked :p
By jamesyy21x
Yeah I'm going to try have a go in my mates that's been tuned see what it's like. I don't 'race' everyday as its my daily, so I guess getting used to it would take a while. Cheers for the feedback defiantly going to consider Eurospec and I have also heard of Romain
By Leejay-B

Great results, I know different dyno, and differnt day but here you go - AMD dyno

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds:
Car for sale now - completely failed on the job to keep car...

But an FN2 calls so staying with a Type R.
By *nub*
I still loved my EP3 when I sold it but for a while I had thoughts about moving on, I was aware that EP3 looked dated so I made the decision not spend anymore on it and think about a new project [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Leejay-B
Bigger car useful for family expansion, and the only larger car I know that I can keep as a long termer is another FN2.

Opportunity to own a friends low mileage car has come up and I cant miss out. One time offer before trade in...
By Leejay-B
*nub* wrote:I still loved my EP3 when I sold it but for a while I had thoughts about moving on, I was aware that EP3 looked dated so I made the decision not spend anymore on it and think about a new project [emoji4]

Your championship white project is awesome. I have no budget for anything near that, but will still enjoy a lightly fettled version.

Added in 5 minutes 12 seconds:
*nub* wrote:Any mods on it or you're starting again? [emoji3]

No completely standard, but family friend has owned / garaged car from new. I couldnt say no to that.
Was going to wait 6 months plus and enjoy EP3, then look for a modded FN2...

So yeah I will start again... 4th go at a Type R.
By Leejay-B
I failed at keeping the 3rd Type R in this thread. But only because a friend offered me their FN2 which is very low milage and they had it garaged from new.

Very good condition.

After having modded versions I had to start again...

Added in 7 minutes 25 seconds:
So I have had the car since April 2016. Spent summer on the following...

First job - clean the already clean engine bay! Then some small mods.

Standard before cleanup-

Cleaned, de stickered bonnet, plus Tegiwa oil cap and reservoir socks-

Added RickR footwell lighting kit (had this on 1st FN2 and it is a nice touch (not distracting either-

Added in 11 minutes 1 second:
FN2 interior - note the transformers decal in door shut, subtle but kind of fits with the family car / vtec maniac split personality (especially when modified to release its potential)-

Carbon gearknob -

Sunblinds to protect baby, and looks like very subtle rear window tint which is a bonus -

Before sun blinds-

After -

By Leejay-B
Mid summer - time for some proper mods -

FN2 Tein Springs -

Ultimate Mugen M20 - not going to happen but I can afford a picture!

So Springs fitted towards end of summer. Car sits nicely now and as the drop in height is not major there is minimal risk of scraping the underside.
Tein springs run lower by 15mm front and 20mm rear. Each car will be different due to age and use of original suspension, but I found the car is a tiny bit lower at the front, and a useful amount lower rear. The rear had the worst arch gap so looks a lot better. I'm glad of the extra 5mm lower rear compared to other kits.
They ride slightly nicer than oem springs too, but only marginal.
Handling is nicer and there is less body roll. As I have experienced before with spring kits I feel the steering is slightly sharper and more direct.
Obviously this is much better with spirited driving, but even normal driving is improved.

Then followed a good clean and polish with collinite. There are shinier waxes, but it is very durable.

Phootshoot, unfortunately car still had some wet drops -

Added in 26 minutes 58 seconds:
Last update with regards to 2016 - bought Milltek non res in ABP's Xmas sale.

Sounds great, certainly not too loud for me, quite mild in fact. Low and mid revs up to 5000 revs I'm very pleased. Bassy and better volume that fits the character of the car. No drone and quiet on light throttle.

Tone and volume seems less pronounced in vtec. Not sure if this is because intake noise increases with vtec even with oem airbox, or due to modern FN2 sound deadening. I'm sure it's loud in vtec from outside as per youtube videos.

I'd quite like more vtec noise but would make the lower revs and normal driving too loud.

Also last month had new hankook ventus evo 2 tyres all round as original Bridgestones were on the car from new 10 years ago!!! Had gone very hard and were poor in the cold and damp.

Added in 10 minutes 2 seconds:
Next update will be awesome - for fitment of new 3rd/4th gear synchro (common on 2007 car), MFactory 5.46 final drive and MFactory LSD.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]