The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can brag away boys (and girls)
Rambo wrote:
Lewisgame wrote:Some poor luck there mate with the inlet.
Get the Injen CAI intake bought. It's not that expensive, 3 inch piping and the filter has a velocity sack incorporated inside.
Incorporated inside? got any pictures? was just going to make my own piping with a velocity stack on end.
No photos. But inside where the filter joins the pipe, it's moulded in the shape exactly like a velocity stack. Surprised TDI North didn't tell you the Injen is the best intake to buy on the shelf.
Few more bits done over the weekend.

Connected the Hondata to the screen in the car.

Finished off the catch tank. got a pack of three scourers and pulled them apart before putting them in. Will catch the vapor so it don't seep through the filter

Few more bits done over the weekend.

Finished off the catch tank. got a pack of three scourers and pulled them apart before putting them in. Will catch the vapor so it don't seep through the filter

A friend Rhys came over and Rolled and flaired the arches aswell.

Before

After

Other side

Got some Evo Enkie 8 allosys off a friend who has recently sold his car. So got my Semi Slicks on them and fitted them to the car. Wasnt going to keep them white but actually think it looks great!

Friend of mine has a vynal cutter so he Got some Enkie stickers and i put them on, finishes them off :)

After being worked on so much recently i gave her a much needed bath!

Got on or two more things to change this year then book another day on track.
Got a little bit of a clean on!

All for wheels off, Iron X to clean them, Poor boys white diamond to clean them and poorboys sealer to seal them.

I have been annoyed by my trims looking worn for years so got some Gtechniq trim restorer and its amazing!

While wheels were off the car i sprayed some de greaser about and put the jet wash in man mode

Finished article of my random clean frenzy.

Also replaced the headlights with OEM silver units. Now i can see!

Wheels are growing on me in white so may be white after powder coating them.

Still got rubbing on rear arches after rolling and flairing them so next up is coilovers.
Not updated in ages so here are a few bits.

First up is a new throne. A Bimerco Futura Fixed FIA bucket seat in blue. Very comfortable and supportive and a lot cheaper than competitors. Fitted the Bride Low rail with sabelt side mounts. Recaro moved to passenger seat.

Treated with Gtechniq I1 Smart Fabric

Here is a video of this working, basically repeals liquids and oil etc so it dont stain.

Then the problems started. Had an issue with idle jumping from 1k to 2k and a hesitation/missfire at 20% throttle in Vtec. Found it was a broken wire so fixed and extended the idle control valve wiring and that sorted the idle. Now to sort out the missifre.

Took the injectors out and found the caps to be deteriorated. So changed them for some with 51k on.

Next was Vtec system. So off came the VTEC solonoid, cleaned and replaced

was a fair bit of metel in there!

Next was the VTC Solonoid, Cleaned and replaced, was pretty clean

Then the front Vtec filter behind the pully's

Problem persisted so changed the engine wireing loom

SORTED! Finally working again so onto using her.

Took her for a drive into London to shake the cobwebs off

Then time to celebrate an amazing friends wedding and asked if the EP3 could be one of the cars.

Weekend after...... back to racetrack. Thought id give the 1/4 mile a go.

Managed to get 8 runs on the airfield during the day. Road tyres i started with a 14.74 and finished with a 14.24.

Was my first time on the strip and i enjoyed it, being a very close race with a friends k20 EK was a good buzz!

Got a video of me and a e46 M3

Then back to reality the week after. Idle dropping to 500 rpm. Off came throttle body and discovered the Idle Control valve had mashed itself up and snapped.

New one on the next day and now everything seems to be working as it should. Hopefully thats the last problem, now to finishing off the handling and changing my set up.
Not updated in ages.

New Loom sorted all the problems out and i wrapped the top rad hose in heat wrap just to keep temps away from sensors.

Prob missed loads of small bits out but the main bits with the car have been big maintenance and only 1 problem.

So i had a T piece in the oil pressure switch to run an oil pressure gauge..... It snapped.... used an easy out to remove it..... it cracked..... so a good time to take engine out and repair and change chain etc.

The T piece in question

What it left me with

Old trusty taking her to friends garage as its to cold to work outside

Once in the garage got car up in air and drained all the fluids.

Not happy with Gearbox drain plug. Lots of unwanted metel its picked up!

Bumper and bonnet off, radio on, tools laid out and ready to go

four and a half hours later she is out

Everything that i removed

Ready to be weighed hehehe

Engine ready for dismantling

Took the box off and took it to Advanced Service Centre for Ally Welding

While engine was being welded i wrapped the mani with a friend who seemed to enjoy it..... why i dont know! Itchy horrible stuff!

Well happy with the outcome.

Japserviceparts to the rescue again, Cant stress how good they are. Next day delivery for my OEM chain, all 3 guides, tensioner, front crank seal, rear crank seal, Chain, Sealant.

Also popped to Honda to get coolant and gearbox oil.

Decided to have a clean up while engine was out. litrally only de greased everything and wiped it over. Not a show car but nice to remove what grime was there.

So with the engine back it was time to set to work.

The welding is fantastic, amazing job

front of engine off

Everything removed

No stretch in chain! on 149000 miles aswell! Goes to show how good the K20 is!

New rear crank seal and front crank seals

New thermostat

Ready to go back in with the help of a bro! All timed up, sealed, left for 24hours and double checked!

And she is in.

Fairly easy. Hardest part was just lining the gearbox mount up and front engine mount as the engine tilts slightly.

Put everything back together and started her up, checked for leaks and we had a leak coming from rear of engine of coolant. On inspection it was leaking coolant from the oil cooler. So removed and checked O ring. On further inspection we realised it was from the water hose further up.

Now if the engine was out the car this would have taken 3minutes........ instead in total to change O ring it took me about 2 hours due to the location and no room! 100% glad i took engine out to change the chain!

O ring in question was more like a C ring!

Replaced, started,checked and everything is fine. So a deep clean and quick snap with a friends Type R

For awhile the bonnet has not closed properly (as in flush) when i replaced bonnet i removed latch and cleaned, greased it and refitted as low as possible and bonnet still wasnt right. So i got some aero catches and set about fitting them!

Half way

Finished

Never again will i fit these! I dont know why but i hated doing this job!

Went for a drive at last down some B roads at an early hour of the morning to have a shake down.

Car performed great except i may have knocked my geo out with one of the bolts. Not to worried as plan on getting coilovers in the new year. Also a great way to celebrate 150k and still going strong!

Lewisgame wrote:Wow you've been a busy boy.
Shame about the t piece snapping. I'd run a braided line off from the engine and have the t piece remote from the engine to prevent the vibrations snapping it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats my idea but nervous to even touch the poxy pressure sensor!
15repyt wrote:Great build mate but what's with the temp gauge so high? mines never gone above a quarter.
Ive had my dials out in the past and not put that needle back properly. One of them things ive not got round to yet
Now repairs are out the way its time to make some progress.

First off i ordered my Injen 3" intake off TDI North. Also orderd the hydro sock to fit from H-Tune

And fitted

Very tight fit so possibly re locate the battery in the future.

Here is the hyro sock fitted

A quick trip over to Tony at Japserviceparts and the slight blow in the exhaust welded.

After a few messages to and from a lovely gentleman called Ross and this arrived.

Waiting for seals to turn up and cam cover will be fitted.
Fitted the Rocker cover thanks to Ross. The blue spark plug cover didn't look right at all so sprayed it black. Before and after.

While i was their i changed all the rocker cover gaskets and the Vtec solenoid gasket

Couple of days later i fitted a carbon cover. Looks so much better. Only pic i have at the moment

Managed to get a great deal thanks to a friend on another set of Enkie Evo 8's. They come with 225/45/17 tyres which change the stability of the car ten fold! Their in a Grey colour. So now have a wet/road set (Grey) and a dry/summer set (White)

Found out 225/45/17's dont agree with my inner arches being there!

Next big bits will be a Solid fab 3" super silent with the same design tail piece so the J's will be up for sale soon. And Meister R CRD+ Coilovers, extended arms and etc. Then to decide who to map the car. Will either be back up to TDI North for a tweek or Romain.

Again. Thanks for reading and as this is a christmas day post, Merry Christmas!!!!!
Managed to find a de badged grill for the facelift bumper. Excuse the bad photo.

Time to finish the suspension set up. So off to Area Motorsport to order shortened steering arms and japservice parts for the ends and service kit.

Managed to remove the old arms without taking the rack out. Saves a lot of hassle

New arm next to old

And all fitted

While i was there did a oil and filter change. Shocked at the new Hamp filters being blue

And changed the coolant

Gave her a good clean after and went for a drive.

After a while i noticed a knocking under braking. I knew i had snapped a disc and sure as hell i had. Disappointment in Mtec as these haven't even seen the track. Only road driving. I have contacted them and hopefully they will look after me as ive used them for so long. Will keep you updated.

Meister R coilovers ordered so that will be the next update.

Again Thanks for reading
So E-mailed Mtec and they have agreed to replace the disks under warranty Very happy with there customer service. Much better than most companies in this instance.

Received a delivery and as everyone loves abit of unpacking here we are:

So as you can see i got Meister R CRD+ Coilovers. Also got there anti rust spray.

The build quility is amazing. Very happy.

Here they are next to old suspension

Here are a couple of before and afters

Need to set up the ride height so im happy then off for geo.

Booked into Solid fab for 3" track friendly system next month aswell So J's racing 60rs will be up for sale
So after fitting the Coilovers i binned the very used EBC Yellowstuff rears and replaced with Ferodo DS250 rears matching the front

While playing with the ride height i may have eaten some of the car. Bye bye wheel arch!

Have another just not got round to fitting it yet.

Also got some teaser pics on solid fabs facebook page.

So went down there the next day and met Alan. Genuinely a lovely person with a passion for what he does. And it shows. the work quility is fantastic. Thousand times better than the J's.

Sounds completely different. Can hear so much more as is so quiet. It sounds aggressive but suppressed from the cabin. Its hard to explain but im very very happy!

Playing about with the ride height for clearence and managed to eat a set of rainsports up in the dry. Side wall dead so put the white enkies back on.

Love the look of these!

Had another issue with the IACV with the wireing, Re pinned and extended the loom and hopefully this gremlin wont return.

Finally off to Advanced Service Centre in Grays for Geo.

Thanks for reading, Mapping next, fresh tyres, pads and back on track.
So next updated is an expensive one.

Fitted a new battery, actually the correct one for the car this time.

Full service and valve timing. Re sealed rocker cover gasket aswell to stop a small leak

To stop the problems with the IACV i orderd a rotation plate. No more strain on the wireing loom.

Steering has always felt sloppy so finally got round to fitting the Solid rack slider.

Went off to Romain for mapping. Surprisingly very quick! Car made power and lost torque. Drives so much stronger. 240bhp and 164lb/ft

So while having a play with a kit car i lost 3rd and 5th. Off to Birmingham i went to get a EP3 gearbox on 62k with a Quaife LSD fitted.

When removing the box the new seal i replaced was the cause of my oil leak! Not impressed.

Cleaned up and new seal in

M Factory lightweight flywheel went in first

New OEM clutch kit fitted and box on and went for a drive................... why havent i put a LSD in sooner. The car has changed dramitcaly so really need to find the limits again and re learn the car. Car now feels as it should, another geo and maybe add some camber as everything has been off and will be ready to get back on track.

Little test drive

After a Drive my oil cap decided it wanted to remove itself from the engine. Not once.... but twice.... so wasnt me being a **** its was obviously faulty. Little trip to honda and you cant go wrong with OEM.

Next will be new tyres, Braided clutch line, Clutch master cylinder and hopefully a track session!

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]