The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Let it breathe...
By bluntcap
Cerberous wrote:One thing that bugs me about this whole argument is has any one sat down and taken air temperature readings from each induction kit (hell all of the ones available would be nice).

Add power gains on a stock car, with air speed and intake volume and pressure (i'm assuming this can all be tested, not being car engineer I don’t know) do this with bonnet on and off.

Doing this on a moving car instead of rolling road so real world wind speed changes can actually take effect instead of a fan blasting the car even when stationary

I know this involves an air field or strip and messing around changing kits with various probes attached to the car but it would silence 90% of the arguments and maybe quantify the costs of some of the kits
Yea someone has. I remember reading it a while back a guy did do temperature tests with different kits.

The reason I wouldnt have a V2 (or other short ram/open cone kits) is I have personal experience with my last car having a short ram kit of just how bad they really are and how it made the car sluggish.
By slideordie
ABP MOTORSPORT wrote:
slideordie wrote:
ABP MOTORSPORT wrote:Interestingly take a look at the filter used by Roger Clarks Gobstopper, quite possibly the best Impreza in the country and 2008 Time Attack winner, you guessed it an open K&N cone filter :wink:
http://images.turbomagazine.com/feature ... ne_bay.jpg

Now get to the doctors before that cough gets any worse :wink:

Chris
ABP
Thats cos its on a turbocharged car :lol: dear me
Ahhhhhh, so turbo charged cars have immunity from the dreaded heat-soak issues then......... :scratch:

Chris
ABP
Yea I suppose exhaust gas is pretty cool isnt it :lol:
slideordie wrote: Yea I suppose exhaust gas is pretty cool isnt it :lol:
You're fully aware that turbocharged cars don't in essence "recycle" the exhaust fumes by putting them back into the engine aren't you?
By EP3_Byron
I have a V2 fitted, on a very hot day when driving for long periods I can see the issue with heatsoak, but here in warm sunny Britain, thats not very often. I tend to drive mostly at night anyways. After reading this thread I might just fit my old AirBox and see what thats like. I think to solve the problem, I might just buy a Grupppe M instead :lol:
By mike_d
Just bought my first EP3 and it has one of these V2 AEM kits on it, I've also got the originsal airbox so I'll give that a try soon to see what I think. Got to agree on the noise though, sounds great.

What's this Hondata mod?
By r8byb
Just to add my piece to this a few days ago i fitted a AEM v2 a few days ago, it gave me flat spots simple as that.

I changed back to my airbox with ITG drop in filter, but also drilled 24 15mm holes on the cold side of the airbox, this not only has erase the flat spots but gave me a nice induction tone and it feels far more torquey now aswell :).
By GazEP3
torch1 wrote:Well fitted my lovely new V2 on Christmas day, yep it was feckin freezing but well worth it. Have to say I love it too bits, that noise is worth every single penny!! Seems more responsive during lower revs and v-tec engage seems stronger than before. One happy customer and glad I saved £££ and didn't bother with a Guppe M :wink:

Just a shame that I was my usual impatient self when it came to disconnecting the thermo valve, yank yank snap :oops:
Just read through most of this thread and thought I'd give my own opinion on the AEM kit

After buying my CTR back in February I already had an AEM short ram (not the one that sits in the wheel arch) ordered and sitting waiting for me picking the car up, the standard airbox remained on the car for 2 days before I got a chance to fit it.

Prior to fitting the AEM filter the vtec engagement point wasn't all that noticeable however the throttle did seem a bit more responsive at idle, however didn't really feel like it pulled that well at high revs (which lets face it is probably why most of us bought a Honda in the first place??)...

Once the AEM was fitted which practically fell into place, definitely one of the best fitting kits I've ever seen I immediately noticed that the throttle response wasn't quite as sharp at idle but however the vtec engagement was much more noticeable and pulled better and of course there is the 'noise' which is very pleasing when in 'the zone' :twisted: the power seemed to have shifted to the top end of the rev range (and this is a CTR which doesn't have much torque at any rate :lol:

I would say yes the AEM does make an improvement but for day to day driving in heavy traffic it isn't just as sharp....
ask yourself this though, if you're stuck in traffic how often do you ever get to 'race' off the lights anyway?? Almost never.

I can't say my 0-60 time has suffered all that much as I have had the car timed (although not professionally) and my personal best was 6.8 seconds from a standing start on a nice smooth strip of tarmac on a cold night with light rain) wheelspin was minimal (and I was running Potenza's at the time)

My verdict is, I love the AEM short ram, it has had very little adverse affects 'on my car', my car does not idle "all over the place" and still pulls away very well from a standing start once the engine has warmed up. I have noticed that the tract does get warm after a long run but overall have nothing bad to say about my kit. I would be interested in trying out the Hondata mod just to see if it really makes that much difference and see what all the fuss is about! But as it stands I prefer my AEM to the standard airbox, it wasn't that big a sacrifice to me, maybe its just down to everyones personal driving style, everyone is different....

Could someone point me in the direction of the Hondata mod so that I can try it out for myself?? :-D If it makes a mega difference I might consider selling my AEM and keeping the stock airbox assembly.... if not then the AEM goes back on :thumbup:
By GazEP3
For those too lazy to search for the Hondata mod I've already found it here http://www.hondata.com/techkseriesairboxmod.html

Happy modding :thumbup:

Although I've read some reports on other forums that this mod makes little to no real difference to performance, just makes it rev a bit more freely at low revs. Dunno about you lot but I generally don't spend a lot of time at low RPM so it make's no real diffference to me personally
By dutch
i love threads like this :thumbup: were driving honda civics at the end of the day, and theres pressure readings and temperture readings being took i no some people take it seriously for bragging rites ive got 3 bhp more than you and all that sh1te. at the end of the day it comes down to personnel preference i have the k&n typhoon with most of the people on here hate but for me its fine no heatsoak noticed and a nice sound which is why i like it. never gona do a dyno so dont care if its running 5bhp down. its a suck it and see situation for those peple that want an open cone filter buy one try it and if you dont like it sell it on simples :salut: .
By Stevo M81
jamsie w wrote:i love threads like this :thumbup: were driving honda civics at the end of the day, and theres pressure readings and temperture readings being took i no some people take it seriously for bragging rites ive got 3 bhp more than you and all that sh1te. at the end of the day it comes down to personnel preference i have the k&n typhoon with most of the people on here hate but for me its fine no heatsoak noticed and a nice sound which is why i like it. never gona do a dyno so dont care if its running 5bhp down. its a suck it and see situation for those peple that want an open cone filter buy one try it and if you dont like it sell it on simples :salut: .
You have a point there matey, most people only use there CTR's for a daily driver so spending £700 on a Gruppe M makes no sense to me either.
By dutch
stephenmoffatt1981 wrote:
jamsie w wrote:i love threads like this :thumbup: were driving honda civics at the end of the day, and theres pressure readings and temperture readings being took i no some people take it seriously for bragging rites ive got 3 bhp more than you and all that sh1te. at the end of the day it comes down to personnel preference i have the k&n typhoon with most of the people on here hate but for me its fine no heatsoak noticed and a nice sound which is why i like it. never gona do a dyno so dont care if its running 5bhp down. its a suck it and see situation for those peple that want an open cone filter buy one try it and if you dont like it sell it on simples :salut: .
You have a point there matey, most people only use there CTR's for a daily driver so spending £700 on a Gruppe M makes no sense to me either.

true that stevo :thumbup:
By gavcollier
id like to add to this,ive also got an aem v2

My car has no troubles at all with idle or anything :S so i dont get how any body else is

I was thinking of making a cold air feed today

But as an experiment ill put the oem box on just to see if i notice any difference :)
By GazEP3
I've my standard airbox back on (it was in getting an engine problem looked at yesterday and didn't want the AEM on) and to be honest asides from being a hell of a lot quieter it doesn't feel a whole lot different low down although it doesn't feel just as punchy as it did with the AEM on, when I sank the boot with the AEM on you could feel a jerk, now when I sink the boot its a lot more subtle. So the whole "V2's are crap" thing is really a load of nonsense in the real world. Dyno testing is a hit and miss science and very seldom ever 100% accurate. Out of interest though I am going to take mine to a couple of fellas I know and run mine with the airbox and with the V2 and see what the power/torque characteristics are like but I'm pretty sure there are no negative affects of running one especially in this country where its cold most of the time
By Collister
I dont think there is many people who put induction kits on for a perfomance gain they are pretty much all for sound
By typerboy
imo

the air box is the least of your worries when it comes to improve the performance of the ctr as a major mod.

the jdm ctr has more bhp and manages fine with the same intake so whats the problem :???: . im sure honda over develop these parts just like the other bits on the car eg gearbox can handle more then 200bhp

the parts holding you ukdm ctr back are

manifold
rbc
bpipe
hondata
cams

only then a 400 quid intake or a 100 quid intake might make a bit of diffrence

alot of people on here aint going be doing the mani rbc hondata route so the cheap route for them on a small spend £100 or so induction and a back box just to improve the look and sound

two types of guys on here the ones looking for power and those who just want it to look and sound better the standard.

one cost a sh&t load and one doesn't :sleeping:
By Hooj
Well this was an interesting read - my mate sold his CTR and a had few bits up for sale like front strut brace etc.. which I have bagged :-D But also has an AEM induction (the one that fits in the wheel arch) for £90.

First thing I thought about was water being sucked into the engine and the stuff said on here is making me think i'll avoid it tbh... it'd just make me worry all the time I'm about to fook the engine by hitting a shitty puddle! :-|

But as said the majority, myself included, just want the car to perform better and sound good. If the AEM V2 can add a nice rasp to my cars induction sound then i'll give it a go. I really think all the heatsoak issues people talk about are going to be negligible, as said we live in England, it's cold most of the time!!

Still i'd be interested in figures from you Gazep3... mmmm figures :yum:
By GazEP3
Well I've had the standard box on for a month now and can honestly say it is definitely no better off than the AEM, if anything I think it's down on power. The only thing thats stopped me from putting the AEM back on is I've been working silly hours and haven't had time. Can honestly say its going back on this weekend as I'm fed up with the ctr feeling limp :vconf: Don't care what anyone says about the so called 'heat soak' issues, mine still feels down on power after removing the aem. Am going to do a rolling road text after Christmas just to see what the results are. As someone said we don;t live in the states or any other country with a naturally warm climate so the heatsoak issue is negligable, even when the pipe is a bit warm it still feels more responsive than the standard airbox
By karl.hart
am gona buy mi self a 57i kit for 25bhp and sounds the tits isn't it :lol:

i run a aem cai and i have drove in some mega rain and i have a charger sucking hard aswell never had a issue since i fitted it a year ago :thumbup:

have a v2 for sale check the for sale section ( the best of the open cones that sit in your engine bay) :thumbup:
Wow, this thread is getting a bit pointlessly heated considering we are talking about a piece of tubing with a filter stuck on the end.

I'm not going to join in with the squabbling, but I'll give my opinion based on what I have experienced with my own car.

I bought my 2002 CTR over a year ago with an AEM V2 already fitted. It didn't come with the OEM airbox so I can't really give a direct comparison unfortunately. However, I soon got the impression that the V2 wasn't doing the car any favours. When nailing the throttle, the car would often drop out of VTEC on the up-shift. This resulted in a pause in acceleration until VTEC engaged again. The kit never fit quite right either and the filter fouled the track rod on the steering rack despite countless adjustment. The actual quality of the tubing is good and I quite liked the unique design, but the Dry-Flow filters don't last and the rubber mouldings deteriorate over time. Something I really wasn't happy with is the location of the filter though - it gets heavily soiled fro road debris coming through the wheel-well. Heatsoak is something I noticed when I was sat in a drive-thru and was sent to the dreaded 'Grill Bay'. I set off and the car coughed and spluttered and it just didnt want to rev at all.

This is the V2 fitted to my car...

After some consideration I decided to make my own intake using the parts from my older EK civic which had been sat in the garage. I then made a Tufnol plate to fit between the filter and the engine head. The left hand side of the plate is covered in heat reflective matting. I wasnt sure how much difference this would make, but after less than 30mins of running, the matting is very hot and the filter is still stone cold. No more heatsoak and it no longer drops out of VTEC on upshifts. All I need now is to sort out a proper cold air supply and I'll be happy.

This is the revised setup...

Note: notice the little mark on the track rod - this is where the V2 caused the filter to foul the steering rack.
By nath4speed
I've got a pipercross open cone at the moment (bought like it).
But im already in the midst of getting a standard airbox and fitting a K&N.
I'll be adding the hondata mod aswell.

I cant compare and say which is better or worse but ive read alot on here about the standard and seems like a good way to go imo.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]