The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those round things that you roll on...
By fuzzylogic
Evening folks.
I'm having the rear brakes on my EP3 totally renewed next week, as the discs, pads and calipers are all shot, so they are being replaced with OE kit. I've purchased everything bar the fluid and relevant grease as the garage doing the job will have that. I hope that I haven't forgotten anything that could hinder the job being done on time.
Are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of with the 12 year old braking system parts, or tips that I can pass on to the mechanic doing the job? I would rather not have to make a trip to the stealers for any extra bits to cover for unexpected breakages. Could the hoses need to be replaced aswell?

Mark
By 15repyt
You can't really go wrong mate to be honest but make sure they do this procedure otherwise you won't have a good handbrake after.

Remove the cover from the rear of the hand brake centre console - (best accessed from the rear seats)

Loosen adjustment nut.

Start engine and depress brakes several times to set self adjusting brake.

Switch engine off.

Inspect each caliper and ensure that the parking brake arm contacts the brake caliper pin before proceeding.

Pull handbrake on one click and turn adjustment nut at rear of handbrake until a slight drag is felt on both wheels. Release handbrake and ensure no drag.

Replace cover on central console.

Handbrake is properly adjusted when 7-8 clicks at which point handbrake should be fully applied.
By fuzzylogic
Thanks for that piece of advice 15repyt. I'll make sure they that as per above. Handbrake was adjusted a couple of months ago but I guess it'll need totally reset again.
By 15repyt
Yes it will need doing again. Your mechanic will have to inspect the hoses when he disconnects them from the caliper to see if they are perished.

Have you got x4 new copper washers for the brake hoses?
By 15repyt
Nope that should be it, sounds like you have the rest or the garage will. They might come with your calipers have you looked in the box?
By Jktaylor87
If hoses do need replacing then use caution where they join the copper lines. Three of four of mine were seized solid despite days of WD40 application. Ended up needing to fabricate new copper lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By 15repyt
fuzzylogic wrote:Oh lovely.... I hope mine aren't seized like that then. Are the hoses a pain to take out of the old calipers?
No mate he's talking about the other end when you fit new brake hoses. Yours will be fine it's a m14 bolt I think it won't snap.
By fuzzylogic
All done now. Both rear calipers are only fit for the bin. Not surprising really after 13 years. Just hope she passes the mot now cos the brake pedal is a bit mushy at the moment despite bleeding all the brakes right through with new fluid throughout the system.

Edit: Had another session of bleeding the new rear calipers and now brake pedal is good. She passed the MOT aswell. One small advisory being slight corrosion evident on brake pipes that run front to rear. Not had a chance to look under the car yet and have a look myself, but something else to keep an eye on.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]