The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By Evostance
I'm trying to figure out what would be the best deal for me as I'll probably be entitled for a car sometimes soon. I'll be doing at least 450miles a week so the civic just isn't the car.

The only thing is, we get a choice of either Renault, Toyota, Nissan or for an extra top up fee of £50, a BMW. Only limitation is I think the top spec BMW we can get is a 320d saloon. Any car through the scheme that has over 120g/km CO2 output isn't available either. Also, if you leave or become not entitled to a car you have to pay the top up fee for the rest of the 4 year term.

So it its that, or I can take the 5600 a year in cash and get my own car.
Obviously I want something economical, something fairly nippy (under 10s to 60), comfortable and inboard tech like Bluetooth etc. also, cruise control for motorway driving...

Anyone got suggestions?n I like the 320d coupe, but realistically over the 4 years, I wouldn't have much change left to pay for insurance, servicing etc, whereas getting a car from work has all that included,
Last edited by Evostance on Sat May 05, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Evostance
smartie wrote:Can you get whatever you want if you take the cash option?
Yep. The whole point of the cash option is so you can run your own car and have all servicing etc paid for by the cash. Only thing for me is that I cant use my CTR, i'll need a new car. However you get the cash on a per month basis I believe and its a taxable benefit which is 20% if it goes off your salary band I think :sad:
By scot
Would buy a fabia vRs. Much rather have the money myself
By smartie
Take the cash then buy something you want, options are almost limitless, other than suggesting every car under the sun you must have some idea what you want. :smile:
By Evostance
scot wrote:Would buy a fabia vRs. Much rather have the money myself
I have a problem with 5 door hatchbacks...I cant bloody see out the side windows as I have fairly long legs so need to sit back. Therefore I always end up looking at the pillar. :bad-words:

Ideally, I want something that looks nice, good economy, not too sluggish and something that isn't overly expensive. It'd have to be either an Coupe or a 3 Door Hatch I reckon.

I did take a look at the A3's, and while they're nice, the interior features are lacking somewhat... I've probably got 5-6 months until I really need to make my mind up quickly so its not an urgent decision. I just dont really know where to start. I only decided I liked the looks of the 320d Coupe because someone suggested it. Wouldn't even have batted an eyelid unless that was mentioned
By I need VTEC
If you are thinking about getting a 320d, will it be a brand new one if you get it through the company car scheme?

The newer 320d's are quite nippy compared to the old ones (E46), and they are very very economical. Just to give you an idea, if you took the money and bought an E46, it doesn't give you as much mileage, is slightly slower, and you'd have to pay for servicing and repairs yourself.

Option A (brand new 320d) Parkers E92 320d clicky

Option B (take the money they offer and buy an E46 320d) Parkers E46 320d clicky

Gives you an idea of what your options are.

IF you do get a brand new E92 320d, personally I'd go with option A.
By Evostance
The only brand new 320d I can get is the saloon, not the coupe as it goes over the 120g/km limit. I like the 2010 320d coupes, but I'd have to buy that myself.m think they're about 60mpg?

Realistically if I were t get a 320d it'd either be...
2010+ Saloon via the company
2008+ Coupe via the cash
By I need VTEC
You said you dislike 5dr hatchbacks because you have to push the seat far back and the pillars get in the way of your vision, do you have that issue with 5dr saloons?
By I need VTEC
Why not get into a saloon 3 series down your local/nearest BMW garage and check it out?

If it's ok, I'd go for the saloon if I were you, simply because you'll have your company looking after repairs and servicing.
By Evostance
I need VTEC wrote:Why not get into a saloon 3 series down your local/nearest BMW garage and check it out?

If it's ok, I'd go for the saloon if I were you, simply because you'll have your company looking after repairs and servicing.
Yeah that was the option if I took the car n. Only downside is I pay £50 of my own money extra a month and if I leave or get told I'm not entitled to one anymore, I owe the £50 for the remainder up to 4 years
By Evostance
I need VTEC wrote:What clauses would sting you with you "not being entitled to a company car anymore"?
Not doing 10,000 business miles a year, different role, me leaving the company for whatever reason

So if I didn't qualify half way through I'd be out of pocket and without a car. If I had my own, I could sell and downgrade if needed
By I need VTEC
If you are doing at least 450 miles a week, that's well over double the 10,000 miles per annum minimum, so that shouldn't be a problem, right?
By Evostance
I need VTEC wrote:If you are doing at least 450 miles a week, that's well over double the 10,000 miles per annum minimum, so that shouldn't be a problem, right?
At the moment yes. But if later down the line they changed my customers which they probably will, my mileage could either increase or decrease so it's always a risk
By karl
unless you've issues affording insurance, or finance to buy it, I wouldn't go for a company car as they're quite restrictive in what you can have, and you're always taxed on the cars full value, even when it's worth less than half, you're still paying for it's list value. With PCP you're free to just buy what you want, much more scope to get something you're happy sitting in for 450 miles every week
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]