The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By Evostance
There's a possibility I might be moving jobs so I'll be motorway driving about 90 miles a day. At the moment i put about £55 in every 8 days so I'm looking at something that will cost either the same or better.

From my calculations the car needs to average about 50-60mpg. It also can only cost about £5k and not be worse on insurance than the Ctr. Currently at £1100 for a 23 yr old with 2yr no claims.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about a newish BMW or Audi with higher miles in diesel. No idea on the reliability though..
Would like it to be fairly nippy too
Last edited by Evostance on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Shappers
Mart wrote:Any small diesel car in the 1.4-1.6 range would crack your mpg.
If you stick to 65-70 then yes a small diesel will crack this mileage.

My 1.4 yaris diesel got me 68mpg on a run from Exeter to Bristol, sat at 65.

Take it up to 80 (and if you're commuting 90 miles a day on the motorway, you're not going to sit much below 80) and the mpg would drop to mid 40's. To be fair, I expect the 6spd box would help with that, but my model only had a 5spd.

What about a Fabia vrs? or polo 1.9PD... bigger engine in smaller car = less work, more mpg's.
By jakeyboy
Shappers wrote:
Mart wrote:
My 1.4 yaris diesel got me 68mpg on a run from Exeter to Bristol, sat at 65.

i got one of these purely for work a few years back, 70k and never missed a beat, used to hit the dash thinking the fuel gauge was stuck lol
By yella
50-60mpg and fairly nippy will never happen, even if you have £30k.

at £5k i would say a Mk5 golf Gt tdi with a (remap you bought the wrong car)

or Ibiza Cupra Tdi 160, but again only looking at 40mpg on average.
By jakeyboy
yella wrote:50-60mpg and fairly nippy will never happen, even if you have £30k.

at £5k i would say a Mk5 golf Gt tdi with a (remap you bought the wrong car)

or Ibiza Cupra Tdi 160, but again only looking at 40mpg on average.
id agree with this, folk that tell you they can nail gt tdi etc all the like and still get 60 mpg are generally talking b@l@&£s
By dave_g
Jules86 wrote:You want the holy grail of cars for 5k, you do realise that the cars that cost this are in demand = higher costs.
Recently sold a 1.4TDI polo for £3k on autotrader, had 8 calls on the first day and sold it to the first person who looked at it. Probably had a further 15-20 calls asking if its still for sale since. Small diesels are definitely in demand!

I can recommend the VAG 1.4TDI, easy 60mpg without really trying and is actually a good motorway cruiser due to the torque. But its never going to fell fast.
By Evostance
dave_g wrote:
Jules86 wrote:You want the holy grail of cars for 5k, you do realise that the cars that cost this are in demand = higher costs.
Recently sold a 1.4TDI polo for £3k on autotrader, had 8 calls on the first day and sold it to the first person who looked at it. Probably had a further 15-20 calls asking if its still for sale since. Small diesels are definitely in demand!

I can recommend the VAG 1.4TDI, easy 60mpg without really trying and is actually a good motorway cruiser due to the torque. But its never going to fell fast.
I think the torque is really what im after if i'm honest. If I go to overtake a lorry, I'd like to be able to go past it without having to be pushed by the cars behind me :lol:
By EvoStu
What? An MPS? :lol:

Saying that though, Danneth reckons diesel like economy on his run to and from work.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]