The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a question/comment about another marque? Ask in here.
By J
I need one for the London roads.

Anyone have any experiences good or bad?
By J@mes
Mum and dad have one and have had freelander for years now (4 since 2001). Never had any major problems with them. Land Rover aren't really renowned for reliability though are they?

That said I'd probably have one if I fancied one so yeah go for it IMO [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By m1ke
They're rubbish. Avoid. For same money there's lots of much better cars. Discovery if it has to be a LR.
By J@mes
Why are they rubbish? Discoverys command a much higher premium.
By Welshy81
quite a few mates of mine have land rover discoveries. These have ranged from 2003 plates right up to more modern and recent ones. Every single one have had problems and my mates are forever forking out money fixing them. The problems have ranged from failed oil pumps, air compressors for the air suspension, window motors failing, electronic handbrake failing, the list just goes on.

When they are working (which isn't often!) They are unbeatable off road but land rover just don't have the reliability. I know the original post was about the free lander but from experiences others have had with the land rover brand I would stay away, unless you like spending lots of money!

My advice, go Japanese!
By m1ke
Welshy81 wrote:quite a few mates of mine have land rover discoveries. These have ranged from 2003 plates right up to more modern and recent ones. Every single one have had problems and my mates are forever forking out money fixing them. The problems have ranged from failed oil pumps, air compressors for the air suspension, window motors failing, electronic handbrake failing, the list just goes on.

When they are working (which isn't often!) They are unbeatable off road but land rover just don't have the reliability. I know the original post was about the free lander but from experiences others have had with the land rover brand I would stay away, unless you like spending lots of money!

My advice, go Japanese!

Any Land Rover in a nutshell, they're crap.

If you want a medium sized 4x4, get a CRV petrol.
By Kingston
m1ke wrote:If you want a medium sized 4x4, get a CRV petrol.
Only if your GREAT otherwise Subaru Forester 2.5XT or STI. The 2.0 is good enough but slow

Generally reliable not without known issues but then share alot of parts with the Imprezzas
By J
So I will stick with the crv then.

Got to say though absolutely love my crv. It's the perfect second car.
By davey j
Earlier tdi 200 Landy Discos are a bit agricultural but very robust. Will munch miles and run on veg oil no hassle. Tdi 300 on were a bit h'mm. Both my R plate 300 and 52 plate TD5 had reliability issues but the old smoker is still going strong at 180k! Finding straight ones is a chore!

Range Rovers with the BMW lump are worth a look too and have a bit of class about them. Just expensive when they go wrong.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]