The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a question/comment about another marque? Ask in here.
By NHB_EP3_Chris
Anybody ever owned one? They seem dirt cheap even for newish, low mileage examples. A lot of reviews say they drive well so there must be something about them to reflect how cheap they are. Is it just oil consumption and running costs that makes them less desireable?
By Andy-type r
Yup oil and fuel. Great cars though superb chassis and are very affordable. But evo mpg and x3 type r's worth of oil usage.
By steve83
Aren't they on the high tax band too?
By Lawson89
They are very prone to loosing compression and then need a rebuild my friend had one and it didn this. My advice avoid these cars
By scot
Fantastic car. Fantastic engine. Needs proper maintenance, full service history doesn't mean much as oil has to be checked at every fill up, which is about every 130 miles :lol:
By tabblink
I had one before my CTR.

Awesome to drive, handles superb. One of the best drivers cars I've driven.

Had mine 4 months and needed new spark plugs and leads -£140

Cat - £1200 (I just de-caged)

Probably about £300 worth of oil, and thousands on fuel.

My advice? Borrow one for a weekend.
By Gaztyper
I also had one before the Type R, I was getting about 40miles to 20 quid of fuel.
Ive been considering buying another as a second car because theyre so cheap right now !
By tabblink
Cheap for a reason, most rx8's under 2k will have burnt out tips and starting issues.
By NHB_EP3_Chris
Well I've always quite fancied one but seeing as petrol prices have just hit 1.40/ltr here I'll probably give it a miss. Its just so tempting when you can pick up a '08 model for £5k. Look like they get a decent amount of kit in them too.
By GMballistic
They have suicide doors for a reason, ..it's so you can kill yourself when you find out how much it's going to cost you to run it or repair it. :lol:

Still I'm a fan of the rotary engines. Ingenious. :cool: [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By Superman001
I think if you had it as a second car and do limited milage it probably won't cost as much to run as a French or Italian car out of warranty :lol:
By scot
Everything from the looks to the interior are perfect. And as great as the engine may be, its just not feasible to run.

A proper engine in there will obviously throw the handling out, and make the front heavy because the rotary weighs fudge all. But it would be worth it
By pulpmelon_r
I hear the run out models in 2010 / 2011 had all the issues fixed up, then the new emissions laws nailed them :lol:
By pulpmelon_r
Is a toss up between a speed boat and a 5th car like an RX8 for most CTRO'ers, purely on impulse of course.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]